Duc de Saint Simon/ L'Hotel/ Le Madison - All in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, these are all considered top-end hotels in/near St. Germain. I've read alot about Le Madison but not so much about the other two hotels.

If you had to pick from one of the above which would it be?

Thanks.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I'd make it a toss-up bewteen the Madison and the Duc de St-Simon; the latter, however, is more expensive.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Underhill (or anyone else), do you know anything specific about Duc de St. Simon's standard double rooms?

I checked tripadvisor.com and I get the sense that they are pretty small. That and someone's ceiling had a leak and all the reception did was put a bucket under the leak; this sounds daunting for a deluxe type of hotel.

I guess Madison's deluxe double rooms are very roomy, no?

Thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM

..have walked past the St-simon many times..in a quiet little street and yet just a block or2 away from the rue du Bac metro stop..The outside of the hotel is charming, but i have never been inside. I lived just around the corner from the hotel and i think the neihborhood is great..a good restaurant next door- ferme st. simon.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Francophile - For a question as factually specific as square footage for standard doubles at one hotel versus deluxe doubles at another, I think I'd just e-mail the hotels in question directly and ask them.

Then you can post the info here for future reference!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Even the superior rooms we've had at the Madison have been roomy, and there's an unusually good amount of stsorage: bureaux, closets with built-in shelving, additional hanging space.

I just read an article on the Suc de St-Simon on another site, and it sounds very nice. But to be sure about room sizes, just write (or e-mail) the hotel and ask for the actual size. I'm finding that hotels are being more forthcoming about that issue, and some even include it when you ask for booking information--bless them!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much. I myself have given the same advice to others that you've given me. I can try. It's just that I already asked them about the rates twice anyway what the heck. If I find out I'll post it here.

They respond not by email but by telefax-a bit different but ok.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 02:57 PM

I can see I'd better move up my appointment for new computer glasses.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:45 PM

Hi,
I stayed at Duc de Saint-Simon a few years ago in a room one level up from standard. This means a bigger bed--not sure about square footage of actual room. But the room was on the small side (not much space on either side of the bed but room enough for a desk and chair beyond the foot of the bed.
That said, I loved the hotel. Beautiful breakfast room, sitting room and courtyard (fantastic wisteria in bloom in May), and it's run by very nice, helpful English-speaking woman.
Am planning to return at the end of summer.

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

From what I am reading here it appears the Duc de Saint Simon's rooms are generally pretty small even for the twin rooms. It is not cheap at all: 245 euros for the regular double or 260 euros for the twin. Add another 15 euros/pp/day for (continental) b'fast.
I checked with L'Hotel and it's very expensive too with a small double running at 248 euros in low season plus continental b'fast at 16.80 euros/pp/day.
I want to say I can save these coming months and splurge this Dec. but I would need to be practical too. If anything I think I'll choose Le Madison as you can get a large twin room with buffet breakfast for about 240 euros for one person plus a small rate increase (confirmed w/the hotel). Unless something better comes up but I doubt it. I have a bit of time still. Thanks. Maybe others will be interested to know more.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM

Keep checking at Orbitz for deals at the Madison; we eventually got a superior twin for 220€ after originally booking for 260--and in September, too. That month is always difficult at good hotels because of the people flocking to Paris for the fashion shows; some hotels won't even take bookings for anyone but regulars at that time.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Underhill, any problems with Le Madison's staff that you noticed? I saw a recent comment on tripadvisor.com saying that the front desk refused to help the guest call his credit card company. Maybe it was due to a misunderstanding. Plus the same guest complained about his tiny viewless room but then again he booked a single. So what else would he expect in Paris for a single room? That complaint was unfounded.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM

We stayed at the Duc de Saint Simon a couple of years ago. The couple we were traveling with had the ground floor suite that opened into the garden...very nice.
We had a deluxe double that was so small it was claustraphobic. We checked out after two nights. We couldn't stand it.

We've stayed in a number of left bank hotels and don't expect the rooms to be spacious, but this was intolerable.

It was, at the time, in the same general price range as the Relais St.Germaine, Montalembert, and Pont Royal, all of which we have stayed in and would stay in again
any time.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:34 PM

We didn't notice any problems with the staff at the Madison--just the reverse, in fact. They were pleasant, helpful, and one in particular had a very good sense of humor.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

If anyone is interested in the room sizes at the Duc de St. Simon and L'Hotel I got the information from the two hotels (please see below). I don't know about the size of the suites at Duc de St. Simon however. In general, rooms are pretty small at both places-but not the prices

Duc de St. Simon (double room(queen bed), garden view) - 13.10 sq. m.

L'Hotel - A Small double room facing the street at 272 Euro per night ( 14 sqm ) Single use only
* A Small double room facing the street at 336 Euro per night ( 15 sqm )
* A Standard double room facing the courtyard at 362 Euro per night ( 18 sqm )
* A Deluxe double room facing the courtyard at 625 Euro per night (32 sqm )
* A Junior suite with small lounge facing the street at 625 Euro per night (30 sqm )
* A Top floor suite with lounge and terrace facing the courtyard at 721 Euro per night (35 sqm )

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Ignore the rates shown for L'Hotel; those were pertaining to my particular request only.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Hi,
Was at both the Duc Saint Simon and L'Hotel last November and am
familiar with the Madison. Madison definitely has bigger rooms (which are very nice). Saint Simon and L'Hotel are very chic, trendy, and generally have smaller rooms. They are also more intimate than the Madison, and L'Hotel has a cool pool in the basement. Saint Simon has a couple of rooms on the second floor with fabulous terraces that would be wonderful in warm weather. They all different and all very nice; the Madison is much larger and on a busier street with traditional French interiors, L'Hotel is closer to the river in the same neighborhood as the Madison on a quiet side street and has opulent Victorian interiors, Saint Simon is on a lovely small street and has tradition French furnishings with lots of toile. Good luck.

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Francophile03, did you find out room sizes for the Le Madison?
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I did have it a while back but deleted the email.
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:42 PM

wowee - that double room at Duc de St Simon is really small, and I can't imagine paying some of those prices for that size room.

Anyway, I'm trying to make a decision on a hotel this summer for Paris, also, and this isn't the best thread for this, I suppose, but does anyone know the approximate size of the front doubles at the Caron de Beaumarchais? I have read an awful lot about how small those rooms are, more than you usually read, so I expect they are not much bigger than the bed, does anyone know?

I will be alone, but I go nuts in a real small room unless I'm only there one night or so. I'd rather have a decent sized room than a deluxe place. I usually stay in a room that is probably about 18-20 m2, I am guessing (maybe 200 SF) which I like. I thought I'd try a different part of Paris for a change than I usually stay and like to be ready to book a room as soon as I ask for availabilities, plus haven't gotten the energy to start emailing everyone yet. I'm debating between staying in Passy for a change (much better summer discounts, about 25 pct off) or the Marais.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -