Implanted Mini-Defibrillator

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if any Fodorite has the above mentioned implant and if they have had any problems going through Security at airports. Supposedly, if the titanium case on the implant sets off the security signal, you are to ask for a hand-search, not with a wand, which could trigger the device.
If anyone can speak from personal experience, it would be appreciated. Thanks. MHM
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:49 AM

No personal experience, but surely you have a card from your surgeon explaining it, just like anyone with a pacemaker, or metallic implant has. If not, you certainly need to get one to avoid any potential problems with security.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:00 AM
JonJon

With an issue THIS serious this forum is NOT the appropriate place for answers. You need to deal directly with those responsible for the device's implantation or the manufacturer in terms of issues of use, including going through security gates. Since this is an FDA-approved devices someone else's "experiences" are not the same as the manufacturer's RECOMMENDATIONS for safety and I strongly advise you to act prudently and accordingly.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:29 AM

My husband has a Medtronic defibrillator and pacemaker implant. His doctors told him to never go through security as it would demagnetize the device. He quietly asks to be hand checked, and no one ever asks a question. I have noticed that when I am with him, I tend to have my purse and carry on stuff opened more frequently--guess I look like Bonnie to his Clyde?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

I was not asking for any medical information--we have that and have all the necessary cards, etc. as well as a list of the various countries where support for this device can be obtained. I was merely asking whether, in these days of heightened security, this type of device presents a problem. The last poster( Carolyn) gave me an idea of what might occur--and I thank her for the comment. MHM
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:34 AM

Last year on a flight to Montréal I forgot about my pacemaker/defibrillator and walked right thgough the scanner. Of course it set the machine off. I then told them that I forgot and they hand searched me and there was no problem. On the return trip I remembered and asked before and they we very accomodating and performed the hand inspection.