Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

No Food or Drink Allowed thru Security, Did I Hear This Correctly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Jackie

While getting ready for work and half listening to the TV, on the news I thought I heard that one of the things that has recently changed regarding airport security is that you are not permitted to have food or drink in carry-on luggage.

This is really worrying me because I will be on a 6 hr flight with kids this spring! I already know that there will be no food served on the flight and since it is a very early flight I'm sure we won't have time to eat before(no matter how much we plan, we are usually running around like headless chickens trying to make our flight on time)

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The food and beverage is ok. THe concern is the type of container it's in. Yu can brink in a cup of soda but not an OPENED can of soda.

See the press release below from the TSA site.

Press Releases

Transportation Security Administration Issues Liquid and Food Screening Policy

TSA 84-02
Thursday, August 22, 2002
TSA Press Contact: Heather Rosenker or David Steigman
Tel: (202) 385-1800

Acting Under Secretary of Transportation for Security Adm. James M. Loy today announced a policy that allows passengers to carry paper or foam polystyrene cups through the walk-through metal detector at the passenger security screening checkpoints of the nation's airports.

"In an effort to make the security process more efficient and convenient for passengers, we have directed our screeners to allow passengers to carry their coffee, juice or other beverage, if it is in a paper or foam polystyrene container, through the walk-through metal detector," said Loy.

Loy noted that the policy is an effort to balance customer service and security since the metal detectors can detect objects inside paper or foam polystyrene cups. lastic, glass, metal or ceramic containers, however, must be sealed because they must pass through the X-ray machine to be screened for security.

"TSA has discussed numerous policy issues with members of the aviation community. The post 9/11 security environment makes such interaction mandatory if we are to provide optimal security for the traveling public," Loy said.

The policy indicates that plastic, glass, metal or ceramic containers must go through the X-ray machines and therefore, to prevent spillage, liquids and food must be in an unopened factory-sealed container or a sealable or spill-proof container. This means that an open can of soda is not permitted through the checkpoint; however, a bottle of soda with a sealable top is permitted, as it can safely pass through the X-ray machine without spilling.

Also included in this policy is a reminder that screeners are prohibited from asking passengers to drink or eat from any containers of food or liquid as a security clearance procedure.

"With this policy, we are making it crystal clear that the public should not be asked, nor agree to, drink any liquid or eat any food for security clearance purposes," said Loy.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Dick, thank you very much for taking the time to post the TSA release, however the news I was watching was referring to the brand new restrictions, that took place sometime in November such as no suitcase locks, items in clear plastic etc.)
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:34 AM

I haven't seen anything about changes in..other than luggage...and I've flown a few times since Nov.

A good site to stay on top is the TSA site www.tsa.gov
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Jackie - what you partly heard probably was the explanation of what and why certain foods should not be put in luggage -- carry on or checked. Things like chocolate and cheese are very dense and cause trouble on the x-ray and scanning machines. Not only do they look "suspicious" on the monitors, they someyimes give off a positive indicator for explosives.

Taking package foods on board is fine - but just be aware they may end up causing a full search of your bag.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:11 AM

I just flew back from LA and their security looked pretty good. In my carry on I had a sealed bottle of water, a sealed bag of candy and a zip loc bag of trail mix. After I passed thru security we purchased a sandwich and beverage and took these on the plane with us. I also bought 3 boxes of See's chocolates as gifts. You'll probably have time to grab something at the airport to eat before boarding. The airport in Manchester NH was selling bag lunches for people who had foodless flights.