Search

Immigration in CDG - how long?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Immigration in CDG - how long?

Hello,

I am trying to buy tix from Boston to Lisbon, flying on Air France and connecting through CDG. There are 2 convenient flights, one that has 1 hour 5 minuts for layover and another with a 4 hour window between flights.

While I'd love to not have to hang out at the airport any longer than I have to, I am somewhat apprehenisve about being able to go through immigration and change terminals in one hour (I still shudder when I think of Heathrow immigration lines). I have flown into CDG several times but always as a final destination, so never had to worry about making a connecting flight. On the other hand, I don't remember CDG being as bad as Heathrow, so may be an hour is enough... Does anyone have recent experience flying to another EU country and going through immigration at CDG? Did it take forever or was it brisk?

Many thanks to everyone who can offer their recent experiences...
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM

On Christmas Day, it took me 25 minutes in line to get through the immigrations between Schengen and non-Schengen areas of 2F.

Others have experiences that if the plane doesn't get an airbridge, it may take 30 minutes or more just to get into the terminal.

I made my 65-min connection mostly because we left Houston early, and got switched from 2C to 2F, which saved me 15 minutes of walking.

On the other hand, it may be worth taking the chance, as AF will put you on the next flight out anyways (unless it's totally full).
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:58 AM

If you go with the shorter connection, be sure there are other connecting flights to Lisbon that you can catch that day. If there aren't any, then you might want to consider the longer connection so that you don't end up having to overnight if you arrive later than planned.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I wouldn't be inclined to risk the shorter layover, given the problems of getting from a plane to the terminal when things are busy and then standing in the long lines at immigration. Add to that the need to change terminals and you'd really have to hustle--don't forget that you'll need to go through security again at the second terminal.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feeback. I settled on taking a longer layover flight to Lisbon (2nd of the day, but there are several more after that one, so I was not afraid of being stuck in the airpot, more of having to chase luggage after it does not make the tight connection )

I will take a chance with an hour layover on the way back - no immigration, potentially lost lugage will probably find its way home in Boston easier than in Lisbon, and it allows us to leave Lisbon in the afternoon instead on of 7 am and then spend several hours in CDG, waiting for the connecting flight.

Again, thanks for the suggestions - it helped me figure out plan of action...
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Actually, there is immigration on your way back. You leave the Schengen area at CDG, not in Lisbon.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for bringing it up. I found a flight with a two hour connection on the way back, so hopefully that should cover it. Now to book the tickets before the sale is over