Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > I'm the only planner and nervous!
Notices

I'm the only planner and nervous!

Mar 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I'm the only planner and nervous!

We're finally returning to Germany, where my son was born. We're going with my husband, my girlfriend, and my son's friend. So, 5, all adults (but really 2 "kids").
Here are the plans I've dreamed up.
Sunday, September 22: arr. Munich
hoping to get accommodations through airbnb or HomeAway. I'm making progress on that but a lot of folks tell me it's too early to know.
Sept. 22 thru Sept. 24: visit Munich, Dachau and/or possibly go over the border to Austria
Sept. 25, 26: rent car to see the cities where I grew up and where my son was born.
Don't know where we'll stay.
Sept. 27: train to Amsterdam
Sept. 28: full day in A'dam
Sept. 29: the kids return to U.S. and the adults spend one more night in A'dam or travel on to U.K.
Sept. 30 to Oct. 5: Not sure if we should stay in one place (London) or attempt a trip to Scotland or what we should do in either place.
Everyone tells me "anything is good - it'll be fun no matter what!" but that's a lot of pressure to get it right.
Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts welcome!!
Thanks!
Sandy
Mar 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM

In my experience people who do not want to take part in the planning are usually happy with whatever they see and do because they don't know any differently but I do understand the pressure you feel. The pressure is all coming from you so you can control this.

<< Dachau >>

This is the one thing I would make sure everyone is on board with as not everyone wants to visit concentration camps.

<< possibly go over the border to Austria >>

I would not start running around helter skelter with no thought of where you're going. I'm sure there is plenty to see in the Munich area.

<< rent car to see the cities where I grew up >>

I would not rent a car to visit cities as it's better to take the train and then walk or take buses with cities.

<< Sept. 30 to Oct. 5: Not sure if we should stay in one place (London) or attempt a trip to Scotland or what we should do in either place. >>

With 5 days I would stay in London as there is so much to see and many sights are free. If you also go to Scotland you'll end up seeing very little of either London or Scotland and will spend too much time traveling.

I also think London is the better choice as people can split up and see what they want to see.

As far as what to do in either London or Scotland I suggest reading a guide book for ideas or click on destinations, above.
Mar 12th, 2013, 02:29 PM

Sept. 30-Oct.5 -- I would advise staying in London rather than breaking it up and trying to go to Scotland. There's plenty to do in London and in addition you could take a day trip to Stonehenge/Salisbury or to Canterbury or to Cambridge, etc. www.londonwalks.com lists some day trips you might like to take. However, read any London guidebook and you'll see that you can stay busy, busy in London without ever leaving the city.
Mar 12th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
The reason for the car rental, adrienne, is because I think it's the best way to see a lot in a short time. At least for now, I'm thinking of just doing a drive-by (from Munich) of these possible towns: Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, Landstuhl, Mannheim, Worms, Mainz, Wiesbaden, Frankfurt. (Yes, I lived or went to school in all those places!)
You're both right about London - we'll just stay in one place and explore. I like the day trips idea for sure.
Mar 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Banned

Are you aware that your plan involves staying in Munich during Oktoberfest? In other words, accommodation will be hard to find and at least twice the usual price. Do not hope to find any cheap place. All lower budget places are long booked solid. Make sure you settle that ASAP - or change your plans and visit somewhere else this time.

In case you are not interested in Oktoberfest, better avoid Munich at that time of the year. Why not dedicate a bit more time than just two rushed days on the road to the places that have a meaning to you? How about actually seeing and visiting them instead of just driving by? There is heaps to do and see in that area.
Mar 14th, 2013, 05:35 AM

As a veteran of group pilgrimages, I suggest you all agree quite clearly in advance that anyone who wants to follow an activity solo be allowed to do so with no backlash. Our entourage, all seasoned travellers, concentrate on gathering together for the evening meal but otherwise go our own ways to see whatever attractions appeal to us as individuals. You will be together a fair amount because you are changing cities frequently, so consider leave the sightseeing days unplanned. There is such a thing as too much togetherness.

Search this Thread