Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 week Scotland & London itin- any not to be missed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never put together a 2wk international trip so last minute... so from the research done in just a few days, here's what I've come up with.
I would love some input from those who have recently experienced any similar itins.

Day 1,2 Edinburgh (thinking Tiger Lily Hotel? Would like something central, easy to sightsee)

Day 3 - rental car - drive N to Aberdeen.. thinking of going through Stirling. Not exactly sure what should make it on the "must-see/do" list.
night in Abderdeen (b&b tbd, input welcomed)

Day 4 - rental car - drive to Inverness via Balmoral castle as it will be the one day open for touring. night in Inverness (b&b tbd, input welcomed)

Day 5 rental car - drive to Loch Lomond via Lock Ness (would like a b&b on the lake)

Day 6 rental car - drive to Glasgow
night in Glasgow (tbd, any recs?)

Day 7 drive back to Edinburgh, drop off car... spend last night here.

Day 8 flight to London

Day 9, 10 **we have not decided for sure on this part** Pick up car at LHR and do 2 nights outside LON...incl. Bath, Stonehenge, Stratford-Upon-Avon. But no performances going on Stratford

Day 11, 12, 13 London (Egerton House? Kensington House? Would like 4 or 5* central)

or we can stay 5 nights in London and just sightsee locally... or take a day trip. It's my first time in London.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM

I don't know what sort of hotel you like, but the Hilton in Glasgow's West End (the Grosvenor) is very handy if you are coming in from Loch Lomond, right opposite the Botanic gardens and near lots of bars and restaurants....
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM

On your way to Stirling, don't miss the Falkirk Wheel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/4409221353/in
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Oh yes, Falkirk Wheen is just fab....http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

And if you're in that area and wanting food http://www.redlionculross.co.uk/
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Since its your first trip to London I would spend more time *in* London. A nice day trip we did out of London was Hampton Court Palace. The rest of your time could easily spent around London itself.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Will second panhandle here -- if this is your first time in London, I'd focus on that city rather than adding in a bunch of side trips outside of it. One can very easily spend a busy week or more in this city seeing sights and museums.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Stirling has arguably one of the two best castles in Scotland.

Aberdeen doesn't have much in town that is touristy but there are ton(ne)s of castles nearby. To get to Balmoral, you should stay west of the city so you don't have to deal with Aberdeen traffic (which can suck). We stayed at the Maryculter House Hotel, which is right on the road to Balmoral. From Balmoral to Inverness, your path will take you right through the top whisky-making area of Scotland.

For London, check out my name on this board and look for the 2for1 offers from Day's Out Guide in the UK. Big savings and I explain how to make this work. I'd stay the extra time in London and go to Windsor for a day trip, it's more impressive than Hampton Ct Palace.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

great, just the tidbits I was looking for.

That wheel looks awesome, will be adding it to the itin!

Alihutch, will add that restaurant to my notes, menu looks good and reasonably priced!

Panhandle&bachslunch, I'm so torn! Seeing Stonehenge is very appealing but I can easily see why you would recommend staying in the city the entire time. I just picked up Rick Steve's London guide and it just makes me want to go to London for 2weeks!

BigRuss, funny I checked out that link today (I read about in Rick Steve's book). I will look up your name as some of the attractions are on my list.

Anyone else? Accommodation or restaurant recommendations?
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM

I wonder about ditching the car in Glasgow and just taking the train to Edinburgh, if you plan to spend most of your time in town. Unless you are dropping car at the airport.

Day trips from a base of London sound better to me as well. Have gone to Bath and Oxford as day trips (for example) though I prefer staying over. But then I do mostly use the train.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM

You say a last minute trip? When are you doing this? Winter is not the best time for driving tour of the northern Scotland countryside.

I'd drop the rental car in Glasgow and take the train back to Edinburgh. No need to pay for parking in Glasgow. A better thought is to fly to London from Glasgow.

Your itinerary in Scotland includes a lot of one-night stands. It seems like you could tighten it up a bit and spend more time in one spot or add other destinations like St. Andrews. For example, Loch Lomond to Glasgow is an hour's drive at most.

You can find B&B's at www.visitscotland.com.

I agree it's best to stay in London for your week and maybe do daytrips. Especially if this is a winter trip. There is a bus tour of Stonehenge from London.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM

I agree with everyone - stay in London and do day trips. Its a great city with lots to do. The museums alone are worth a couple of days. Plus, your activities may be weather dependent. It would be better to know the weather for the day you plan to be in Stratford, etc.

Lastly, after your Scotland leg, it might be nice to have a place to stay for a few days.

We recently spent a few days in London, way too short a time. We ate at Mildreds, a vegetarian restaurant, that was fantastic. Don't forget to go somewhere for tea.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 07:44 AM

It's many moons since I was there, but I remember taking my Scottish mother-in-law to Balmoral.
Her Scottish soul was outraged because she reckoned that it was expensive and you saw very little. I see that it the same now. The only bit of the house you can see is the ballroom with a few Landseers and what mother-in-law described as HM's third best silver.
The grounds are quite nice, but personally, I'd give it a miss unless your heart is set on it.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 04:02 AM

Haven't stayed at Tiger Lily. It gets a good name. If it were not available. You might like to look at the Glasshouse or the Missoni.

Can you give us an idea of the sort of place you would like to stay? If like Tiger Lily, the only places I can think of in Aberdeen are Bauhaus or, maybe, Malmaison.

Again, what sort of place do you want to stay in Inverness/Loch Lomond/Glasgow?

I kind of agree with Miss Prism about Balmoral, but the route is stunning and, in that context, it's really worth doing.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 04:39 AM

Personally I'd do Glasgow as a day trip from Edinburgh and rather than going up the east coast of Scotland I'd go up the west coast via Skye to Inverness. There I would return the car and fly to Bristol where I'd pick up another car for Bath etc, returning it to LHR for you stay in London
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Tiger Lily is indeed very central and convenient. It's quite young and very trendy.

In Inverness a few months ago we stayed at the Heathmount - one of their cheapest rooms but it was lovely and we wished we were staying longer than 1 night so we could take full advantage of it. I thought I'd put a review on Tripadvisor but it doesn't seem to be there - lots of other recent glowing reviews, though.