I'm not crazy - deciding between Ireland and Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked DH for some suggestions for a 'surprise' trip for his birthday...at least with three or four options, he'd be surprised and I'd feel comfortable that we were going somewhere he was interested in. Now, for the planning details - 10 days from Mid to Late april; hotel budget of 150-200e/day for double; possible itinerary ideas: dublin to kinsale to ring of kerry to galway back to dublin or athens to one or more islands. Don't know how much time to allot for various stops - in Ireland, we'd have a car; greece - dunno; walk in athens and take ferries to the islands. Has anyone taken an island cruise from athens? Weather would probably be better in Greece, less tension with driving but I'm just trying to get started at this point. Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

and, as an aside - we are mostly interested in museums, churches, countryside, culture...not huge beach people anymore as we've aged and gotten melanoma-wise. loved the pueblos blancos, black forest, tuscany, normandy etc for the atmosphere and joie de vive. We will spend a couple of days in larger cities but really like getting outside to see the country. thx
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Don't know about Ireland, so can't comment.

But for Greece, if you're not into beaches (and I am not), late April is a fine time to go. I'd probably go to Athens first and the island second to let the winds die down a little.

As for where, it depends on how much moving around you like to do and how much driving you like. I like driving. That time of year, the roads won't be crammed, and driving should be pleasant (and on the right side of the road!). Also, this early in the season, people tend to be fresher and friendlier.

Crete would be a nice place to go with your interests. Very interesting archeological sites, beautiful countryside, great food. It is a large island, and the roads tend to be better maintained that some of the smaller places. Because it is so large and diverse, it is possible to happily spend a lot of time on Crete. I like staying in Chania the best. Search on this site for Chania hotels and you will see many recommendations for great places to stay.

Another island that people like because it is spectacularly beautiful and matches the iconic image of greece is Santorini. If you decide to go to Santorini, I wouldn't stay more than two nights, as you don't have much time in Greece and Santorini is a very small island.

If you wanted to go in an entirely different direction you might want to go see Meteora, one of the wonders of the world. This is a series of monastaries build on pillars of rock extending high into the sky (I'm sure you seen pictures), and is most interesting. You can also see Delphi, or drive around the Peloponesus.

Greece is so varied, and there are so many wonderful things to see. I really love Athens too. You could certainly meet your budget too.

If it were me, I wouldn't take an island cruise, I would just decide where I wanted to go, and make my own travel arrangements, and I prefer a combination of flying and driving.

Well, after you listen to everyone's ideas, let us know if you need more information. No matter where you pick, Ireland or Greece, you will have a great time.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Eleni

When we (eventually) get to Greece will you be our personal guide?

I love your writing style and courteous manner when replying to folks on here no matter what they ask about Greece.

I've traveled to Greece before but your descriptions, knowledge and advice about the country are helping me slowly build our itinerary for the next visit.

So, just a little 'thank you' from me.

Joe
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM
GBC

With ten days in mid to late April I would lean toward Ireland. We often travel at that time. Ten days would provide a very nice visit to the southwestern part of Ireland. If we were traveling we would drive ourselves. The driving is on the "wrong" side but at that time the traffic will be minimal. With ten days, I would see if I could fly in/out of Shannon and skip Dublin entirely.

Greece is also wonderful but, in my view, you would spend too much of the ten days just getting to where the sites are. The Greek islands just begin to start their season in mid-April. It is a little early for them but it can be done. You are right, most years the weather might be better in Greece but one can't tell. If you do decide on Greece be sure to visit at least one island - Santorini. Best done by air.

Your hotel budget of 150-200e/day will be fine in either place and breakfast will be included.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Thanks Joe! That's nice to hear.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM

If you use this website you will notice that Americans visiting Ireland tend to interact a lot with the locals.This does not seem to happen much elsewhere in Europe and is very unlikely to occur in Greece where knowledge of English is still poor.The weather will probably be better in Greece but Shannon is only 6h 20 mins from Boston for example.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Let me start off by saying "I'm not Irish or Greek" so before I visited both places I had no agenda I felt I had to accomplish. I actually had no desire to go to Greece but business eventually took us there last summer. And I absolutely loved it - so much so that I'm going back this summer for twice as long.

On the other hand, I actually WANTED to go to Ireland for many years primarily because I was familiar with the history and music. When we finally went I was very disappointed. The people are great and for about the first day the scenery is great too, but I eventually found it kind of monotonous. Nothing about Ireland wowed me. Nothing was unpleasant, it was just.....meh. Oddly enough, last summer another business trip brought me back to Ireland. This time the weather was gorgeously sunny and warm. Still......meh.

I suppose if I had Irish blood coursing through me, the homeland would stir my loins. But it just doesn't do anything for me. To me it's just a much less interesting version of the United Kingdom. You can see the same kind of castles, gardens, pubs, and quaint villages plus much more in England/Wales/Scotland.

And now that I've irritated every Irishman on the board.......