Greece is not just Myconos & Santorini!

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece is not just Myconos & Santorini!

I've been reading lately most of the messages posted here about Greece and this got me thinking. Greece is not just Myconos & Santorini!!!
It is so unfair that most of you guys out there only want to travel to these islands and not in any other places -except maybe Crete, sometimes. Greece has so many beautiful islands, I couldn't begin to describe them all to you. And, not just islands. Mainland is also extremely beautiful with different sceneries in only a few hours drive from one place to another.
I don't know, maybe we should all give it another chance and start thinking differently, for a change. Check other options as well.
It's going to be worth it, believe me. I wish you all nice travels.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:10 AM

There are plenty of contributors who agree with you and who regularly suggest alternatives to the Cyclades islands. No one is being "unfair" here, we're just making suggestions based on our experiences. What islands do you like best and which ones do you recommend? That's more helpful than just criticism.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Don't get me wrong, I never meant to criticise anyone on the choices they make. It's just that I think we need to keep our minds open for other options as well.
It's not that I want to suggest a particular place. In fact Myconos is one of my very favorite places -I've been there often, as a single, as a couple and with family. Myconos is not just for night-life or great beaches. It has something for everyone. What I mean to say is that we need to show how beautiful and friendly Greece is to other people. And, Greece is not just the 2-3 most famous Aegean islands.
By the way, your comments Brotherleelove2004 are always precise and correct. A very trustworthy source of information on this thread.
Anyway, I never meant to bring anyone down. If I can be of any help to anyone, please be free to ask.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:09 PM

So I ask you again: Where would you recommend for visitors to Greece to go in the Aegean other than Santorini and Mykonos? And why?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:51 PM

For me, I enjoy mainland Greece. I travel most times a year to Peloponnese and Thessalia. It is good to have contrast to living on island.

tereza, I agree with you of course that there is many beautiful parts of Greece to visit. I think to ask you that for both this island and Santrorini it is tourist that make them popular not locals people.

Maybe it is because both can easily be visited and they are very beautiful. But locals here do not define that, the tourist do.

Also, where charter flights are paid to come then many people will too. Where regular scheduled flights operate then more people visit. Maybe is supply and demand.

For the other beautiful areas of Greece maybe government needs to spend money telling people about them and provide easy access. Until this happen people will not change their travel plan.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Gee, I can jump onto this post. I think everyone going to Greece for the first time visits Athens, Santorini, Myconos and perhaps another spot. Good choices especially if you're not planning on return visits. Once you start to return annually your tastes and expectations change.
We've been to Myconos every year for the last five, but then again we spend 90% of our time on the beach.On our first trip we also visited Santorini. Beautiful scenery and a very dramatic place to visit. The beaches were very disappointing, the shops and galleries are the same as you see in most of Greece and it's very pricy.( Akrotiri was also about 20% open which was disappointing). No offense Brotherleelove. I'd always recommend everyone see Santorini, but return visits for us haven't happened. I don't expect they will until friends want to see Greece and then we'll be back on Santorini. Myconos has been our place for the past 5 years but we're not going back this year. There are a few reasons why, a lot of it has to do with the cost, it's very expensive. The other reason is we have found some new places we like. Half the cost, nice beaches, etc.
I have to agree with tereza, there are a lot of great places in Greece. You just can't do them all on an annual vacation of two weeks.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:16 AM

angeliki
Can you recommend a hotel on the beach - your favorite beach, restaurants, towns in Mykonos.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:25 PM

Agreed. Corinth, Sparta, and other areas of the Peloponnesean peninsula, Delphi , and the Meteora area, can be very memorable trips from Athens. You can take busses or rent a car. No worrying about flights. But if one has to go to an island, going by ferry gives one a real sense of seeing how Greeks travel to the islands.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM

Hi Cathyt,
I'd like to help, but we don't follow most of the recommendations you'll see on Fodors.
My advice about Myconos would be to make a decision on a hotel. You can either stay in town and travel to the beaches daily or stay on the beach and travel into the town at night.
If you like the beach stay in Platis Yialo or Ornos. Don't have any recommendations for in town.
I think most of the younger people, more into the clubs and nightlife choose the first option. We are in our early fifties and we choose to stay at the beach.
Myconos town is not much different than Fira, Oia, the Plaka in Athens, etc. etc. You're going to see the same merchandise for sale in the same types of shops. There are some exceptions but for the most part the experience is the same. Wherever you stay you should have a wonderful time.
Angeliki
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Just a few suggestions for any one interested :
1. Aegean Sea
- Tinos (Tinos town is not worth it - but all the other villages are great!)
- Syros - absolutely beautiful
- Anafi - small out of the way island, mainly unspoiled
- Symi - simply unique
- Rhodos - so full of history
- Skopelos & Skiathos - such greet waters
2. Ionian Sea
- Kerkyra (Corfu) - rich in history & beauty
- Paxi - absolutely beautiful
- Lefkada - great beaches, the most wonderful sea
3. Mainland Greece
- Meteora - once you see it, you won't believe it
- West coast of the Peloponnese - long stretching beaches with some of the nicest hotels in Greece
- Olympian Riviera - near mount Olympus - great beaches, nice hotels
- Ioannina town - rich history, worth at least a visit
- Metsovo - so picturesque!
- Mount Pelion near Volos town - beautiful all year long (skiing in winter, swimming in the summer)

Are these enough?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Cathyt
I'd stay in Ornos if I were you. Near the town if you're interested in night life, but very nice also in the morning as there is a really nice beach there, not as crazy as Paradise beach or overcrowded like Platis Gialos.
For dinner, don't forget to go to Ano Mera in "Vangelis" restaurant. You'll taste the best beef ever.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Bravo tereza, I like your list.

Did you take some time in Volos also? What did you think?

thanos
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great insider tips! I'm reading them and making plans for my future Greek trip.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM

I have not been to Greece since I spent a month there in 2000- 2 weeks in the Peloponnese and the Mani and another 2 weeks on the island of Mytilini(Lesvos) The overnight trip out on the ferry was a fun experience.
I love Greece, but have a phobia of tour boats and lines of tourists, so I much prefer finding my way to the more out of the way places!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM

I am going to Greece with my daughter for 16 days, arriving July 5th/06, I'd like to spend at least 3 days in Athens then perhaps a couple of tours, Naxos and Crete and a stop to see Santorini....any suggestions on other places we should see..keeping a budget in mind?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM

That's at least 4 stops in 16 days not subtracting travel time between the island. If you don't fly from Athens to Crete I suggest you take the night boat so as not to waste daylight hours in transit. From Heraklion on Crete you can then head north by highspeed ferry to Santorini, Ios, Naxos, Paros and Mykonos. I'm recommending Paros as a good addition if you really need one, but I suspect that what you have planned will be more than enough to occupy your time after Crete. From Mykonos you can either fly or take another highspeed ferry back to the mainland.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

Aegean Airlines is having an airfare sale.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM

Can you suggest some reasonably priced places to stay in Athens that aren't too far from the sites, and also perhaps tell me whether or not you would recommend the 3 or 4 day overnight bus trips from Athens to places like Delphi?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM

As has been done here a zillion times by me as well as others, I recommend the Attalos Hotel on Athinas Street. It's close to the Plaka and Syntagma Square and the Monastiraki Metro station is just down the block. It was refurbished for the Olympics so it's in very good condition. There's a rooftoop lounge.

http://www.attalos.gr/

If your purpose for day trips is to see archaeological sites then yes, I do recommend them. You might want to contact a reputable agency in Athens to help you decide where to go. Check out Fantasy Travel-they have an excellent reputation.

http://fantasytravelofgreece.com/english/
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM

Add Nafplion.. beautiful Peloponesean city.
Least favorite place of 6 week trip was Santorini in spite of its specatcular views.Even in Oia it was crowded, tours from cruise ships, many unfriendly, burned out,non- Greeks working in tourist industry there.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM

Sounds like late-August, early September. Everyone's pretty burned out by then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information