Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm leaving for Italy next Saturday and...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

I'm leaving for Italy this Saturday (September 2nd) and although I've done a lot of reading and research, I was wondering what you think I shouldn't miss in the following places I'll visit...

Rome (5 nights)
Assisi (daytrip from Rome)
Capri (3 nights)
Amalfi Coast (daytrip from Capri)
Florence (6 nights)
Siena (daytrip from Florence)
San Gimignano (daytrip from Florence)
Venice (5 nights)
Milan (3 nights)
Lake Como (daytrip from Milan)

I really want to thank you all for having shared your experience and opinions during these past couple of months. You've all been of great help. I'll definitely share my experience after I get back (September 25th).
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Wishing you a beautiful and wonderful time in Italy Castallanese! How wonderful that you will have time in each location to enjoy it and also to be able to "stop and smell the roses"!

You no doubt have tons of suggestion as to what to do in each location so my suggestion is to try to wander away from the heavy crowded areas and find little spots of calm. Residential and business streets off the beaten path etc. I have always found that so much fun and also so relaxing. I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Castellanese - I'm so excited for you and know you'll have a fantastic time. We, too, have experienced a daytrip to Assisi from Rome - it was a glorious day! I also love San Gimignano (actually, we spent 3 nights there). Rome is my absolute fav! Take a deep breath, gaze up at the blue skies, and drink a glass of vino for me. (We'll be there come September 18). Best regards...
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Castellanese,

Although we didn't make it last year while in Rome (due to train strikes on last day), I would highly recomend Tivoli Gardens. Our family was there 20 years ago one late afternoon and evening. It was magical...some sort of estate filled with water tricks and fountains...hope you can find it if you have time!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Castellanese, just in case you missed my post and were interested, there is a fodorite gtg in rome next week the 7th, 8:00 pm at Armando al Pantheon.

Have a great trip! I am hot on your heels, leaving Monday for Rome..
JenV
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM

We leave tomorrow and will be in many of the same places as you!!! Very funny
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM

Holy moly!

I'm sorry I have no advice, my first time in Italy will be next year, but I just wanted to say have a fantastic time, Castellanese!! Your trip sounds soooo wonderful.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:19 PM

leavinf for italy next thursday doing venice, florence, and rome = from rome travelling south to naples, isle of capri, blue grotto, etc. probably will run into a lot of you guys there will be there for two weeks two days. everybody have a great trip
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:29 PM
lvk

Castellanese,

Another nice side trip from Florence might be the walled city of Lucca. We really enjoyed it there. Riding bicycles along the wall and around the city was one of the highlights of our trip.

If you need a side trip from Venice, Verona is always a nice choice.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:53 PM

Hello Castellanese, your trips sounds delightful! With only 2 days to go, you probably have started the always-so-stressful packing of putting in, taking out, etc. But just think, in 3 days you'll be in Italy!

This year we spent March in Italy and went to many of the places you've mentioned. You'll really enjoy having plenty of time in each city. There is just so much beauty in Italy!

We had a week in Venice, so we were able to see many things not on most people's itineraries. One thing that really sticks out was the Maritime Museum, seldom mentioned on these boards but well worth a visit. A small museum, doable in an hour or so, but packed with the history of shipping and boating in Venice, with full-scale and miniature-scale models of an assortment of vessels. It was a highlight for me but especially for my husband. Perhaps this would be of interest to you as well.

Milan is terribly under-rated, IMO, but we sure enjoyed our days there as well. The castle museums were very enjoyable.

Ciao!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi again everybody!

Thanks...

LoveItaly, I like finding off the beaten path places, too. I'll definitely write a trip report when I come back!

DorkForceMom, thanks for letting me know about your daytrip to Assisi, I was having second thoughts about it. Have a great trip, too!

TakeTime2Travel, Lvk and Kopp, I'll take your suggestions into account!

JenV, I have a reservation for Galleria Borghese at 7pm on September 7th. Thanks for letting me know, though. Have a great trip, too!

StormyGirl and FpSoley, have a great trip, too!

Cherie1, I hope you have a wonderful trip next year.

Castellanese.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM

We are leaving on Tuesday for 14 days, driving from Rome to Venice...I understand the excitement! Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:40 PM

kopp do you know the name of the maritime musuem and location in venice sounds interesting leaving thursday thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM

Hello fplsoey - happy to oblige! It's called "Museo Storico Navale." It's a short walk from St. Mark's Square. Just walk towards the Arsenale, it's just passed that. You can't miss it. If you're further away, just take the boat to Fondamenta dell'Arsenale. Hours Mon-Sat. 9-1.

It took us 5 trips to Venice to find this place, but it was so worth finding! It's loaded with gondola displays, lots of ship models, an exquisite funeral barge, manned torpedoes, cannons, and machine guns. Quite a nice collection and a nice diversion from the churches, artwork, and other treasures of Venice.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM

Just came back from Roma, Venezia, Firenze, Lucca... Would give anything to be back in any of thsoe places.

Enjoy your trip. It sounds fantastic!