Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm getting into the idea of dressing nicely in Italy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read quite a few "what to wear" threads there, and I admit that I even started one. As I mentally plan mu wardrobe for our upcoming trip to Italy, I admit that I am embracing more and more the idea of actually looking NICE while being a tourist.

For some reason, I have always thought "shorts and t-shirts" for vacation. But I love the idea of my family actually dressing nicely. I am a lawyer and we've been "business casual" for about 6 years now. I spend about 12 hours a day in my "work clothes" (lots of nice slacks and sweater sets) and am perfectly comfortable. I'm sure that - given the right shoes - we can have a perfectly good time in Italy while dressing nicely, too!

Thanks to all of you who continue to tolerate everyone's "what to where" posts!
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Hi missypie, I enjoy dressing nicely in Italy, especially since the city I live in is so casual..to casual a lot of the time.

Do bring comfortable shoes for walking as you no doubt will do a lot of walking while in Italy. Wishing you and your family a wonderful trip!

Old May 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM

I live in jeans, and capris for summer. And - gasp - tennis shoes. That will be the hard part for me, finding decent-looking, comfortable shoes.
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Oops, posted too quickly. LoveItaly, how's your finger?
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Maire, I'm still searching for another pair of comfortable but not terribly ugly shoes for my trip. I have a wide foot, so I really can't find shoes at any store. I believe that I have ordered and returned 11 pair from zappos.com, with another four pair on the way!
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I have wide (and short) feet, but have had good luck with comfortable shoes by Merrill (my favorite), Seibel and Born. Have you tried any of those?

I've moved, over the years, to dressing up a bit more when visiting Europe. Actually, I do it more in the U.S. too, when visiting Chicago, New York, S.F. Not so much that I'm uncomfortable, though! My husband hasn't changed so much; he no longer wears t-shirts, but he still wears shorts, even if he's the only person in the entire city who's wearing shorts!
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Neopolitan

Beware that if you email eileenp, you will no doubt get spammed with her attempts to sell you her jewelry and other items she likes to advertise here -- yea, "restaurant list", indeed.

Old May 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM

I'm an urban dweller here in the US. I don't wear shorts and sneakers except to work in my own back yard while at home, and wouldn't do so in any other city. Either here or abroad.

My gray and black skirts and pants (with various colored tops) serve me equally well for both work and travel. They can be dressed up or down and are appropriate for churches, museums, theater/ballet, and all but the most formal of restaurants.

I may not "blend in" completely, but I am a less obvious target for pickpockets and toutist touts, which is also a plus in my book.

Have a great time, Missy!
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Well, traveling with three kids, I doubt that we can "blend in" but at least I'll feel better if we look nice!
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Oops, make that "tourist" touts! (I do wish there was an edit function here....)

Another bonus about dark colors is that they don't show the dirt!

Do what feels right to you, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Good luck with the shoes, Missy. I have to start my shoe search soon. Just sent back a bag I received and ordered another one.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM

I hope everyone reads Neo's post about NOT responding to eileenp post. Click on her name for her other posts and you will see what Neo is referring to.