Comfortable shoes for Italy?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Susan

Comfortable shoes for Italy?

Hi, I need advice on shoes for my trip..don't need running shoes, any others ok. Susan

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:13 AM
shoe-fan

Tod's loafers! Most comfortable and cool looking.<BR><BR>Leave some room in yoursuitcase. You'll find plenty of terrific shoes in Italy.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Ana

Clarks.<BR>There is no other shoe I would put my money into when travelling.<BR>Ana

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:25 AM
If the shoe fits....

what shoes will work best will depend on your activities: strenuous hiking in mountains? hiking country roads and paths to hilltowns? walking in hill towns and country paths and rocky ruins?easy strolling in cities? beach resorts? theater and high-fashion shopping? It will also depend on the time of year, your size and weight, the condition of your feet. You may need several different kinds of shoes from rugged over-the-ankle hiking boots to dress shoes. Or you may get by with one pair of sturdy but not too ugly tie walking shoes, posibly the same ones you wear at home. Whatever you decide you need, give yourself plenty of time to try them out before the trip.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Chris

I am going to Italy in Sept. I already bought SAS sandals (heaven!) and Merrell's sandals. They are soooo comfortable, I will even wear them with socks if it gets cool outside. I am also bringing my white running shoes regardless of all the people who said don't. Buy your new shoes early enough to break them in.<BR> What about clothes for late Sept/early Oct.....hot? cold?/ I still haven't figured that out!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Cerise

I will be going to Europe in September and need to know if mules are comfortable in the long run. They look sexy and not very comfortable. How do they hold up on cobblestones?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:43 PM
karen

Cerise - I wore mules in Paris last September and the cobblestone streets really got to my feet. I had to hobble my way over to Lafayette Galeries and buy a more comfortable pair. I then wore the mules when I wasn't going to be walking far.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Cerise

Karen, thanks, I think I will take a pair and put them in my carpetbag and then put them on in restaurants, etc.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Cathy

I walked all over Italy this summer in Rieker sandals. I took two pairs, and wore them everywhere. They are really cute (I get lots of compliments on them), and they have the massage bumps on the inside of the sole. They look good with shorts as well as skirts. I am like the other gal who likes to look good, not just comfortable! These fit the bill.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Nancy

For long hours of walking I purchased ECCO shoes (one sandal type and one "maryjane" type). Best shoes I ever bought! A lot of walking effected both my feet and back and these have mostly solved the problem (with a few sit-downs along the way).