Wearing Shoes in Italy

Search

Wearing Shoes in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wearing Shoes in Italy

I am headed to Italy for my honeymoon. I planned on wearing a pair of brown Sperry Top-Siders, but also wanted a sneaker to wear. Would these suffice, provided I get a more neutral shoe color?

http://www.shop.puma.com/on/demandwa...iq_id=34994146

If not, please help out! I don't want to stand out and look like an ugly America.
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Those shoes don't look comfortable or very good for the miles and miles of walking to be done while enjoying Italy. Ugly Americans are not identified by the shoes rather by ridiculous and rude behavior (not limited to just visiting Americans I might add). Learn some of the language, understand and respect the customs and Italians will embrace you. They are among the friendliest, most helpful we have met in our travels. Get the most comfortable (to you) shoe possible and enjoy your honeymoon!! {I have TEVA sandals and love, love, love them. They handle the cobblestones marvelously!} http://www.teva.com/womens-pretty-ru...=women-sandals
For a sneaker I would chose a good and comfortable walker, not a fashionable deck shoe. Honestly I only bring my sandals these days, but we do travel when it is still warm.
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM

1. No one will care what your shoes look like.

2. You will be among thousands of other tourists who look like tourists. You'll rather stand out if you try to look like an Italian.

3. You will be recognized as American tourist anyway.

So what.

Conclusion: Wear comfortable shoes that you walk well in, and keep your feet happy. If you buy new shoes, do so in time before the trip and break them in sufficiently. Blisters and hurting feet would ruin your holidays much more than the risk of disapproving glances (which probably won't happen) and are too high a price for fashion. Really, no one will give a ****.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:10 AM

I would choose shoes for comfort definitely over any other attribute. To the earlier points, if you are going to tourist destinations you will be surrounded by folks from just about everywhere, it doesn't really matter what you're wearing. And enjoy!!
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Thin soles will be torture on bumpy cobblestones or gravel; and they will transmit the heat of scorching pavement if you are there in a heat wave.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM

My 71 year old DH loves his Pumas - in fact, he hiked the
entire length of the Cinque Terre wearing them - passing
all the Germanic folk in their hiking boots.

They suit his feet and they look great - so if you don't
have any foot issues and like the look - hey, do it.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I swear by Mephistos. Before them, I would swear at my feet.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:18 AM

<<If not, please help out! I don't want to stand out and look like an ugly America.>>

Who cares? Why do you concern yourself with the opinion of people whom you will not see again and upon whom you will make no impression unless you act the fool?

The notion that Europeans dress exceptionally well is quickly dispelled upon actually going to Europe. The notion that people in foreign countries will care what you look like is dispelled upon interacting with them.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Being an ugly American is not based upon your clothes (usually - I have seen a few who qualify including an extremely large lady of mature years who decided to deck herself out in very tight bright pink stretch pants and a matching tee with a large Tweety Bird on the front). But she would have been ugly even at Mall of America and Disney too.

What is important is polite/appropriate behavior and respecting local customs - and presumably all of us here know how to do that.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM

The style is nice looking but too flat for cobblestone walking or walking any distance! Try Mephisto or a New Balance walking shoe in a neutral color (not white). Do you have an REI store near you- they might also have a good walking shoe.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Those sneakers shown might be okay in terms of ugliness (or not, I think they are but they could be ugly enough to be considered hip) but are completely inappropriate for walking around a lot, so don't get them.
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Whatever shoes you end up with, buy some comfy inserts (are you gellin'?) to go with them. Your feet will thank you.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM

danielgaz, I think it is entirely appropriate at this point to ask the opinion of your soon-to-be wife. She will really appreciate that you care about her fashion advice.
Do it now, because in 20 years, or so, you won't care what she thinks, or what anybody else thinks, about what constitutes an ugly American.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM

I will echo the above - comfy shoes with good support. You'll walk a lot on uneven surfaces and sore feet and blisters can really put a damper on your ability to enjoy your trip. I take regular tennis shoes on my European trips, and the days I wear those shoes, my feeties couldn't be happier.

No matter what you do, you ARE going to be a tourist and people will know. So what? Dress like yourself. There is nothing wrong with being an American or with people knowing you are American. Sure, there are some narrow-minded people out there who may look down on you, but that has everything to do with them and nothing to do with you.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:36 PM

In Italy it is best to stick with black or dark sneakers... it seems older people wear brown and dark blue a lot also. Also, in Italy it is easy to find dark sneakers in stores compared to the U.S.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM

I had to share this picture!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Shoe store in Italy, not terribly fancy.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oh no, not another shoe thread.

do europeans post threads on the US forum asking what to wear on their feet in the US?

no-one, but no-noe is going to mistake you for anything other than a tourist, and nobody cares, honestly, what you wear on your feet except you.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Hey daniel, just really to echo what others have said, i really truly wouldn't worry about your shoes, just be comfy....i have been to italy as a tourist loads of times and have never been concerned people are loving at my shoes. Italians are very nice and am sure you will have a wonderful honeymoon.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
DaveJ1 - This thread is two years old. I'm sure the OP has long since returned from Italy.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ky - not being picky, but it's actually 11 months old - and I'm forever making the same mistake as Dave.

and who knows - it might even prove helpful to other people going to Italy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -