Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ile de Re or La Rochelle- which place to stay?

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:38 PM
vicki

We are planning a two day stop in this area and have three choices identified - stay on the Ile de Re at Hotel de l'Ocean or the Auberge de la Maree, or stay at La Rochelle at La Monnaie? Doe anyone have any experience with any of these hotels and/or can compare the experience of staying in Ile de Re or La Rochelle?

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:58 PM
StCirq

Vicki: I'm a little confused. We've stayed at the Hotel de l'Ocean in La Rochelle, and it's a pretty little place with nice views - just make sure you ask for a room at the back - the front rooms are noisy, even with the double-paned glass.

Perhaps there is a hotel by the same name on Ile de Re also?

If you wanted to do more than go out to dinner and gaze at the ocean in the evenings, I'd stay in La Rochelle, which is a nice town with lots of cafes and restaurants and good museums and shops. The nicest town on Ile de Re is St-Martin, but it's really quite small, really just one main square.

The beaches there are unusual - at low tide, you have to wade through what seems like miles of mud to get to the water. Not the best swimming beaches, but the area is still attractive.

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:34 PM
vicki

St. Cirq, thanks for the helpful info. There is a hotel de l'ocean at Ile de Re in the town ( ?) of bois Plage. It looks very charming.The main advantage of ile de re would be proximity to beaches and , in the case of auberg de la maree, a pool, which my kids would love. Do you know any hotels with pools in La Rochelle? The other hotel we saw was La Primavera in Palais sur mer ( I think) near Royan.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:26 AM
xxx

Anyone else?

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Julie

We stayed on the Ile de Re on a previous trip and will be staying there again this coming September. There isn't a lot of nightlife but it is a very relaxing place and you could rent bikes for yourself and your kids. It's easy and fun to bike from small town to small town on the island. You can always drive into La Rochelle for a day or half day trip.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:07 AM
mimi taylor

We did the opposite, stayed at La Rochelle because of the restaurants, and spent the day in Ile de Re, a good choice for us.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Steve

We're going to Ile de re as well. Does anyone know how far the Hotel De l'ocean is from the beach? Any thoughts about Les Brises in La Rochelle? Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:13 PM
StCirq

The Hotel de lÓcéan is right on the water, but not right on the beach.

I don't know anything about the Hôtel des Brises.