Search

Ile de Re

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ile de Re

Our cruise ship stops in La Rochelle for the day next month, and we'd like to go to Ile de Re. Does anyone know if it is possible to hire a taxi to take us there? Will we be able to get a taxi to take us back, or should we make arrangments for Taxi #1 to pick us up again?

Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM

Sorry I can't help you, but I bet someone on this board can. Good luck!
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM

I take it that you mean a taxi to the place where you would catch the boat to the Ile de Re?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

I have read that there is a three-mile bridge to the island. I thought to take the taxi roundtrip from La Rochelle. Do you think it a better pland to take the ferry and then hire a taxi once we are there?
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM

I haven't been to Ile de Re but I was not overly impressed with Ile d'Oleron; I had the use of a home exchangers beach house there during an exchange.

Unless you are determined to go to a beach, why not investigate La Rochelle itself? I haven't been there, but it is on the list. It is quite historic as the Huegonaut seige took place there during the religious wars.

Ile d'Oleron is reachable by a causeway via Saintes and is known for its oysters.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:25 AM

There is indeed a very long and attractive bridge to the Ile de Re.You can see it on the Ile de Re web site http://www.iledere.com/

There is a section on the web site title 'Comment venir' -how to come here. If you page down, you'll find a telephone number for a taxi company who will meet people at the airport or the train. Presumably they would also meet a cruise ship. You'd have to check with them about coming back. My suspicion is that you should hold on to the one you have.

However there will be LOTS of people in La Rochelle and on the Ile de Re in July and August, and so the problem may well be traffic. It may take you more time to get there than it's worth.

I would also recommend that you stay in La Rochelle for the day. It's a lovely city, great cafes on the water, attractive streets. The city is known for being one of the most pedestrian friendly in France - bicycles available everywhere to help get around if you don't want to walk. This is what makes the traffic more difficult, as it's not 'car friendly.'

The Ile de Re is attractive, but again will be very busy. Lots of French city people have holiday homes there, and this will be the height of French holiday time.

If you had several days in La Rochelle, I think it would be worth going to the Ile de Re, but for one day I'd certainly stay in town.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
AR

I wholeheartedly agree with Carlux. If you only have one day ashore, then La Rochelle is a delightful town and well worth the visit. The Ile de Re is a playground for Parisians in August and totally over-crowded. I certainly wouldn't bypass La Rochelle to get there if you only have the day.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your excellent advice. We will stay in La Rochelle for the day. I have been reading about it, and it sounds like a place we will love. We are sailors, and the boats and the maritime history alone would make it worthwhile. We are also lookiing forward to having a meal there. Do they serve oysters and clams in August? I rather doubt it, but just thought I'd ask!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM

Sort of hijacking this question. If one were renting a car and driving through La Rochelle from north to south, would it be worth crossing the bridge to have a looksee at Ile de Re?
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM

Depends when you want to go, and how much you want to pay to cross the bridge. According to the web site, it's 9 euros off season, 16.50 in the summer.

We drove over when we were spending two weeks in La Rochelle and thought it was interesting, but probably not more than many other beach communities. If you were spending more time there you would probably enjoy it, but I don't know that you can take advantage of the Ile de Re just by driving through it. Check the web site for photos. http://www.iledere.com/
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
AR

Once again I agree with Carlux, Hopingtotravel.

There isn't anything to "see" on the Ile de Re for a detour other than to spend some time on the island and its beaches. In that case, I wouldn't bother with a detour as there are so many other places to detour to in the area.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Glad to hear you are staying put in La Rochelle, one of our favorite cities! You will have a fabulous time.

Three restaurants we can personally recommend are:
Le Corail, speciallizing in seafood and right next to the Tower--has nonsmoking room upstairs and seating outside avail.

Les 4 Sergents with wonderful French cuisine in a lovely setting, though you'd never know from the outside.

And the absolute Best: if you have 2 hours for a very special meal, Richard Coutanceau right on the beach with world-renowned cuisine. Magnifique.. but reservations a must! And not cheap but worth every centimes!
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

klondike:
I am taking your restaurant recommendations with me to La Rochelle. One would be crazy to go to France and not have a fabulous meal. Thank you!