Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"If you're going to visit ___, you HAVE to go during ___!"

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will soon be moving to Spain for two years. At first, I was thrilled at the prospect of having such an amazing opportunity to visit many new European destinations. However, now I suddenly find myself completely overwhelmed! It's not as if we'll just be able to go see a new country every weekend (although we'll definitely explore the areas around us each weekend!) I'm realistically thinking we'll be able to afford to take more involved trips every other month or so.
I would really appreciate your advice on some unique European "must sees" - not necessarily the usual tourist sites, but more like special times/events throughout Europe. Things that we could only experience in this one particular place, at this one particular time. An unforgettable festival in Italy? Olive harvest in Spain? Tulips blooming in the Netherlands? That type of thing. It doesn't have to be something huge like Oktoberfest, it can just be something that seemed extraordinarily special to you. Thanks so much in advance!
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM

Start with Spain---a very large and quite diverse area.
I see at least 6 weeks of time just to see Spain. Think regions:
Andalusia
Catalonia
The Basque region
Madrid and centro Spain
Green Spain

Then spend 2 more week seeing Portugal. Why go further?
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM

I enjoyed being in Norway on Constitution Day, May 17th, especially in Bergen. Also had a great time in Istanbul during Ramadan.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever since we first visited Gubbio in northern Umbria, I've wanted to go back for the Festa dei Ceri (Race of the Candles) always held on May 15th. I like the fact that the 'winning' team isn't necessarily the one that crosses the finish line first.

http://www.bellaumbria.net/festa-dei-ceri-2011_eng.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVAgI3S-nhE

Gubbio also puts up what they call the largest/tallest Christmas tree from early December to early January.

http://www.bellaumbria.net/biggest-c...ubbio-2010.htm
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 02:31 AM

Operation Push Pin,

I moved to Italy several years ago and chose a location that favors easy traveling in Europe. I found that my appetite for what I wanted to explore elsewhere very much changed as I learned new things, and my curiosity went in many directions.

For instance, after spending time in Greece, I became keenly interested in seeing those parts of Germany and Austria where Greek ideals were seized upon and glorified in architecture and art. Before that, I never would have made time or the plans to see these places. Once you start to learn about the historic relationship between Spain and the Netherlands, going to Amsterdam might suddenly get much more interesting. Likewise, the north coast of Africa.

In addition, once I paid attention to exactly which destinations were best served by my regional airports, I was attracted to going places I'd never really considered before, and it was a pleasure to be able to do it so easily.

Finally, the greatest pleasure has been feeling free to go to the places that aren't the big tourist draws because I'm not invested in "making the most of my time" because I went through so much trouble and expense crossing the Atlantic for just one trip. I've got my eye on going to the Picos di Europa way ahead of many parts of France that tourists stampede into as a "must-see." It was a thrill to go to the gorgeous and untouristed Valle d'Aosta just as a break from the heat, and likewise the mountainous borderlands between Italy and Slovenia.

So to make a loooooooooooong story short, let Europe call to you, see once you get here how you want to approach it. Being closer will give you a better picture, and surely it will quickly become plain that various members of your family have an infinite appetite for .......... (fill in the blank), while if they never see another or eat another .............. (fill in blank), it won't be too soon.

Have a great time in Spain. It was my second choice for a European home, and I may still take a flyer on living there sometime. It's a deeply fascinating culture in every corner I've visited.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 03:09 AM

OPP,

We are about 1 year into a 3 year assignment in the UK. For this first year, we did have some pent up demand for some typical destinations (Rome, Paris) and also took in nearby sites that we might not have otherwise done (Ireland, Edinburgh, N. Wales). In addition, we do try to get out most weekends to see something close by.

For this 2nd year, the focus has shifted to further exploring the UK (Cornwall, Highlands) rather than the more exotic. But, we are planning some continental trips as well. Some we had in mind before coming over; others developed so it helps to keep an open mind.

I think you'll have much to do in Spain -- make sure you don't short change that. You can always come back for the biggies that you might miss.

As you are well aware, it won't be a 2-year holiday. Keeping up the pace mentally and financially is difficult to do.

On a side note, I've really enjoyed setting up a blog for friends/family back home. I'd highly recommend it (free at blogspot). Scan through if that helps with ideas.

ukfrey.blogspot.com
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 03:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When my daughter and I went to Greece several years ago, we ended up in Athens during their carnival time. It was very festive, lots of people in the streets. We went to hear rembetika music at the Stoa Athanaton in the central market building and were the only non-Greeks in the place. The day after carnival ends is called Clean Monday, and people go to the countryside and fly special kites, which we passed all along the road.

My other daughter and I happened on carnival time in northern France, also quite by accident. We took a train from Paris to Bethune and were surrounded by revelers on the train, men dressed in wedding gowns, singing and blowing on horns. I believe there are celebrations in many cities, and that there is a large one in Dunkerque.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Zeppole, your thoughtful reply is enough to make me start packing my pots and pans. It gave me another reason why a long stay somewhere in Europe would be great for us.

OPP, I don’t have any specific recommendations, just want to remark that the rural area we often visit in France amazes us with how many events it has going on throughout the travel season. Nothing major, but a few things of interest every weekend (lots fewer in winter). Maybe the little French town’s tourist office is just trying really hard, but you may well find things to do locally when you’re not hitting the high spots of Europe.

The third weekend in September is heritage weekend in Europe. This is the weekend when you get to see places not usually open to the public, or free/reduced entry to a place that usually charges an entry fee. This is one reason we schedule our trip for September. I don’t know about Spain, but everywhere we’ve been in France has dozens of possible places to visit.

Kerouac has reported on some of the big events in Paris–Chinese New Year, Ganesha, the Christmas market. My favorite of his reports was an agricultural event that filled the Champs- Elysees with growing crops--for a weekend! You can click on his name to see what he’s posted.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM

but more like special times/events throughout Europe

This is a good web site for events all over the world
http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies so far! I love hearing everyone's different experiences. Zeppole, that's a great outlook for us to take into our stay! I look forward to many additional interesting responses.