Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had to limit yourself to one romantic thing to do in Paris...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:51 PM
lori

I need help. I would like to hear from someone that can share one romantic moment in Paris. Is it a certain bridge you walked over, a particular view, a walk?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Tom

Lori, <BR> <BR>Depends upon your sense of romantic. <BR> <BR>My wife and I particularly enjoyed walking along the Seine at night. The Eiefel Tower lit and the area around it and the Invalides is very nice for walking. <BR> <BR>We also enjoyed just sitting at a streetside brasserie and enjoying a cup of coffee together. <BR> <BR>We also stayed in a location near the Eifel Tower and most every evening we bought a bottle of wine and some nice French cheeses and ate and drank at a brasserie that had a clear view of the Eifel Tower. <BR> <BR>Very nice. However, I do not believe the scene is as important as the person you are with. After 28 years of marriage I better be right. <BR> <BR>Tom

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:29 PM
L

A late afternoon trip on the Seine, on a smaller boat free of travelogue. Or in October walking the 5th and see the yellow leaves on the trees, smelling the woodsmoke. Or hanging out on a sidewalk drinking Pernod and water about 1 a.m., watching the traffic and pedestrians. And there were many others, and there will be more, starting December 28. If you are on Ile St. Louis, just call out "Leone" and I'll buy you some wine. Until then, ciao.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:36 PM
RC

I second the early-evening-to-night boat ride along the Seine. That's definitely romantic. <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Edna

Watch out for the dog "poo". It is everywhere!!! they are not very careful about this, and getting it on/in your shoe is definitely NOT romantic.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Fred

Walking on to Pont Neuf when it's dark out, standing at the stone rail, and looking up river at the lights, the boats, and the Eiffel Tower lit up in the background. For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Book Chick

Tom, <BR>i loved your answer, which I think is the essence of romance. Your wife is a lucky woman. <BR>BC

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Thyra

Well, on our honeymoon, we took a bubblebath, drank champagne and watched the lights go on over the city through our panoramic hotel window, that was pretty romantic. <BR>PS: Tom has the best response.. but we've got a 5 year in 2 weeks, hopefully we are on the same road! <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 05:05 PM
elena

An evening picnic on the Champs du Mars on a lovely Spring evening. There are many more, but that's the first one that came to mind.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Debora

I would choose a bateau mouche ride, even with 50 strange people around. Me and my husband did it last year, at night, watching the city ligths, hearing "La Vie en Rose" and other romantic french music, enjoying lots of hugs and kisses. It was like we were alone. When you are with the right person, everything can be romantic. And Paris is the most romantic city that I know.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Bob Brown

I would vote for a concert at Ste. Chapelle. There is something almost unearthly about the effect of the twilight sun on the stained glass walls of this beautiful chapel. The acoustics are highly resonant and they give a full bodied sound to great string playing. <BR>The hall is dimly lit and the music is usually sounds terrific. Afterward, a stop at a cafe or whatever for some wine or dessert caps off a lovely evening. <BR>Of course you have to be a classical music lover to really get a supercharge out of the experience. But we sure did, and after 40 plus years of going places, we still enjoy each other's company. <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Lori

Bob, you picked mine. I was blown away by the concert at St. Chapelle. I felt as if my husband and I were the only ones in the rooms listening to this beautiful music.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Book Chick

Thyra, <BR>You go, girl! Many more romantic years to you! <BR>BC

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Bob

Kiss your love while standing on the Pont Neuf while watching the lights of Paris. It is good for all ages, we are in our 60s and been together 40 years.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Capo

Hi Lori. My two favorite romantic places in Paris are the Pont des Arts (the wooden footbridge that spans the Seine between the Louvre and the Academey Francaise) -- especially at night when the City of Light is aglow all around -- and the evocative Medici Fountain & pool in the Luxembourg Gardens.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:06 AM
romantic

I really enjoyed the walks on the quieter streets off the place Pigalle.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Russell

I agree about the Bateaux Mouche, though it might be even more pleasant one of the boats without the running monologue over the p.a. system. Or a walk along the Seine.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:11 AM
smoochie

tp