Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had to cut one - Madrid or Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had originally thought to take a 3 week trip to Spain for my 60th birthday in November. I am reading numerous trip reports and really wishing I had come up with a better forum 'handle' like MaiTaiTom's...but I digress.
Original plan was fly to Granada (because it is doable from Ottawa and is a slower city to deal with jetlag and adjustment), either Malaga or Antequera for one or 2 birdwatching days, Cordoba, Seville, Madrid, Toledo and depart from Barcelona. A reasonable approach for 23-24 days. However, I am realizing that is a sizable chunk of my annual vacation bank and work is looking at me sideways when I mention three weeks away. So I am looking at more like 18 days.
I know I can reduce days in all towns, and drop the birding, but I really find an appeal to the Andalusian towns and would rather consider just drop Madrid or Barcelona with strategic travel and overnights rather than regret rushing through the other towns.
Can I live without the Sagrada and Modernista art (though that has been the main appeal of Barcelona)? Is there anything along the route to give a taste of the Prado? Is there anything in Barcelona to replace the Thyssen-B Museum?
I like churches, photography, museums, gardens. The Moorish influence is of strong interest. Though I have picked up the pace, historically I would read every label at an art gallery or museum - so I don't like to be rushed. I am travelling on my own. I am an experienced solo traveller and though the concept of being out at night is fine, once it is dark I am not motivated to head out again, so it will be a challenge to take advantage of the late hours at museums (except the Alhambra). Food is of some interest, and I really don't shop, so these are not deciding factors. I choose apartments over hotels unless a one or two night stay.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you actually BEEN to any of them before?
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 01:35 PM

Well I would consider sticking with your original plan of 3 weeks. Once you go to the expense and trouble of the flight over I always think the more days there it spreads out the 'agony'(both financial and physical) of the trip over. Try to ignore work looking at you sideways and convince yourself and everyone else you work hard and deserve it.

However, it's certainly understandable if you only want 18 days and that is a decent amount of time. In that case I'd drop Barcelona. I love Barcelona but it's further away so more time/trouble to get to. Your plan up to Madrid would work well in 18 days and there should be flights home from there. Many people do Toledo as a day trip from Madrid and seem happy about it but I spent a few nights and was glad I did. I also spent a few nights in Segovia and was very happy I did that. Both Malaga and Antequera were interesting places but if anything else has to go it should be those. I wold think bird watching wold be equally good from Granada or Cordoba but I'm not sure what exactly you mean by bird watching.

I think Granada 3, Seville 3-4, Cordoba 2-3, Toledo 2-3, Segovia 2-3, Madrid 3 would be a great trip. Although a lot of people prefer week long stays with day trips, I don't think in this region it works as well. Each of these places has an ambiance you'd only get spending a couple of days and evenings, so while some of them (eg Cordoba from Seville, Toledo or Segovia from Madrid) can be done as day trips I think you'd get more out of them spending a few days in each. So in that case hotels probably work out better than apartments. But that's just my preference.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Dukey1 - sorry, I should have mentioned that - no, I have never been to Spain before. Also, I have a long travel list so not sure I would get back again - but I have been known to do 3 day stops enroute to somewhere else.

isabel - I may still manage the 3 weeks, but I'm also thinking about the toll of travelling that long. I don't seem to be able to bounce back from busy travel like I did even 3 years ago and 5 weeks in Africa and Istanbul in 2015 left me totally burnt out travel wise and took weeks to recover from. I just don't know what my ideal travel time is anymore.
I agree about actually spending nights in Cordoba and Toledo. The day trip thing doesn't suit me and I am okay with 'one night stands' if need be.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 01:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Barcelona has amazing architecture including La Sagrada Familia and I really enjoyed seeing it all. But I enjoy spending time in Madrid more.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and the birdwatching - the whole 'people in boring clothing with binoculars looking into the bush' thing is the plan. Hire a local guide, head out into the country and share a hobby for a day. It gets me out of my solo-ness, into nature and a good chance to visit and get to know a local or two. Yes, I could do this as a day trip from Seville instead. That would also be about half way through the 18 days an a break from all that culture.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Everyone has different opinions. Except for the art, I really don't like Madrid at all.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
If you end up doing three weeks (especially since you said you might never return), you could still do both...and don't worry "QuiltingTom" was my second choice

3 nights Granada
2 nights Malaga (I don't know much...ok anything... about bird watching so I don't know if you can do that in other places you might visit)
4 nights Sevilla (day trip to Cordoba and see Mezquita)
2 or 3 nights Toledo (we loved Toledo)
4 nights Madrid (day trip to Segovia)
4 nights Barcelona

Old Jan 27th, 2017, 02:27 PM

I would definitely keep Barcelona. The architectural impression left on us is everlasting. We enjoyed the art in Madrid but found the city tough and very urban.
Sounds like a great trip though.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 03:10 PM

I would cut Barcelona. To me the Gaudi stuff is hackneyed, at best. Madrid is cosmopolitan with much to see including the major art museums. Plus it is the center for visits to the surrounding towns of Toledo, Segovia, and Salamanca.
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 04:44 PM
kja

I would skip Barcelona (much as I enjoyed it) because it is further from your other destinations and so that you have time to see more of that part of Spain if you choose to return. Personally, I’d rather really see the areas I do visit WELL than see a few places in several different areas a bit. Just my preference.

IMO, there are some good museums in Barcelona – particularly the Museo Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (which has deep collections of medieval and Romanesque art, modernista work, and a smattering of pieces in other styles) – but no, IMO, nothing like the Prado or Thyssen-Bornemitza, which are, IMO, truly extraordinary collections. And Madrid has a number of other amazing collections -- the Reina Sofia, Convent of Las Descales Reales, National Archeological Museum...

I was glad I spent 3 nights in Sevilla (not enough!), 3 nights in Granada, 2 in Cordoba, 4 nights in Madrid (much of that time in its extraordinary museums, and I could have used more there), 2 in Toledo, a night in Segovia, and 2 nights in Salamanca. Like isabel, I’m very glad I spent over night in so many of these places, and am glad to see that you are OK with staying just for a night if that’s what suits your itinerary best.

And while I haven’t gone bird-watching in Spain, and am certainly not a bird-watcher, I have included it (complete with binoculars) on one trip and something similar on a few others. I agree that it can make a nice break from the routine, and give you some “off-the-beaten track” experiences. In fact, I usually try to include something of that sort in my travels. ;-)

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 07:45 PM

You will not find the Moorish influence in either Madrid or Barcelona.

Madrid has world class museums and is an excellent hub to visit a number of worthwhile towns nearby.

Barcelona is unique as the art in the streets and in the architecture. The museums are not that great but is sensational walking city.

We have been to both numerous times and all depends what you want in travel.

I have bird watching loony in-laws and they liked Andalucia. Please check the parks and wetlands.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 02:02 AM

Love Barceloma, but seems like the best idea here would be to focus on Andalucía and Madrid.

<I like churches, photography, museums, gardens>

Then you should consider to give a few more days to 3000 year old Málaga, the major museum city in Andalucía, fabulous gardens and all the churches you could want, starting with the 16th century "one-armed" cathedral. And the Moorish past is all around.

Málaga is Andalucía's "city of culture with its so-called 'mile of art' being compared to Madrid, and its dynamism and fine dining to Barcelona": https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/andalucia/malaga

Fabulous gardens and parks: http://www.spain.info/en/reportajes/...aga_verde.html
https://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga...orical-gardens

Churches in the center of Málaga: http://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/churc...rt-i-5036.html
The one-armed cathedral: http://www.malagaturismo.com/en/tour...l/catedral/132
http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/cathedral.htm

And the Roman theater in front of the 8-11th century Moorish Alcazaba Palace/fortress is right in the heart of the city: http://www.malagaturismo.com/en/tour...tro-romano/413

More about Moorish Málaga: https://www.simonseeks.com/travel-gu...-spain__117508
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

maitaitom, 'quiltingtom' isn't such a bad option. I think you often have readers in stitches and you don't seem to needle people too badly.;-)
Thanks for the feedback all, maybe I just need to revisit the number of days I have in places and fly home a day or so early to recouperate before work. I think the only reasons for either Madrid or Barcelona is their key sites. As cities, I can't afford the time to be too indulgent. I think Gaudi appeals to my enjoyment of Impressionism and Art Nouveau, but I do have plans for Austria, Prague, Budapest (not yet visited) for Mucha, Klimt and Successionist and wonder ifthat would be a tradeoff for Barcelona....perhaps so.
IMDonhere, yes 'birders' are a loon-y bunch. Just another group of geeks hanging out together. The wetlands south of Malaga, or Donana are of interest.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THANK YOU for responding to my question. Had you said "yes" I might have taken the "easy way out" and recommended that you not go to anywhere (in Spain) you have been before although there are people who actually do go back to places.

The whole "Madrid vs. Barcelona" thing has been going on around here for decades.

As much as I like both cities and for very different reasons I would have to say no that there is not anything which rivals the offerings along Madrid's so-called Museum triangle. But there's also nothing in Madrid which rivals the Sagrada Familia as well as all the other Gaudi stuff, either.

It doesn't take that long to travel between these two cities don't forget.

OTOH as much as I liked the Alhambra overall, after a while the what seemed endless empty rooms despite the repeated decoration on the walls got boring for me.

Enjoy Spain; we will be back there net year; it is a wonderful country. And remember, you could be dead soon...
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 06:09 AM

And remember, you could be dead soon...

Words to live by
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went back to both Madrid and Barcelona in 2014, and was left with a definite preference for Barcelona. There is much more to the city than Gaudi, and much more to the Art Nouveau in the city than Gaudi.

Start here for my blog posts (links at the top of the page):

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...s-the-ramblas/

That said, if you are more ino art, especially religious art, Madrid might be a better fit for you. I prefer decorative arts to "fine" arts.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

'you could be dead soon', true words and as I work in a hospital, it is frequently brought home. I had an 'ah ha' moment 7 years ago so decided to tackle my bucket list, particularly those of nature that is changing fast....Galapagos Islands, the Serengeti which led to my volunteering in Africa at age 56, and other ancient wonders that are at risk. If tomorrow was my last day, I would not say 'wait, I still have to see X, Y or Z'.Yes, there are many more places and things on my list, but what I have experienced these last few years have reshaped me and my travel expectations.
I'll try to include them all, but shorten up some. I seem to have too many days allotted to Seville and Granada, but these are also favourites on this board and elsewhere. Back to the drawingboard.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go to Madrid.

The paintings in the Prado are not to be missed, especially Las Meninas by Velázquez and the portraits of the Spanish Royal Family by Goya.

I really like people-watching in the Salamanca neighbourhood.

Love shopping at Loewe. Absolutely the best leather!!!

Day trip to Toledo, a city of beautiful doors and window boxes. So charming.

Thin
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 10:09 AM

I like both Madrid and Barcelona, they are just different. I don't think you can compare them like you want to do and say does Barcelona have a museum just like one in Madrid, etc. I think you have to decide on your own interests what you want to see and do. I really like Barcelona a lot, it is a very cosmopolitan city and I find the history of Catalonia fascinating, as well as current situation. And I have always been interested in some famous people from there and so had read about it before going. For example, I am a big admirer of Pablo Casals and had read his bio, and other Catalan composers such as Albeniz and Granados, as well as singers Jose Carreras and Montserrat Caballe and musicians like Alicia de Larrocha. I quite like the artist Miro (his museum there is good), also. I think Barcelona has good museums, but I suppose not as top tier as Madrid, except for Miro and Catalonian art, of course. It sounds like you have no particular interest in Barcelona for any reason other than a few Gaudi buildings, though, so those things have little import for you.

So basically, I think the idea of comparing the two and wanting one of them to fulfill all the desires of both isn't going to work. I'd choose Madrid in your case mainly because of your itinerary, it just works a lot better than Barcelona, coming from Seville. And I think it does have very good side trips, such as to Toledo. You could combine Barcelona with France or something for another trip, if you wanted. Personally, I'm surprised an employer cares that much about 18 days versus 21 days or whatever, but if that is better, I'd pick Madrid in your schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -