Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had to choose only one restaurant...

Jul 6th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Jack

We will be in Paris for a very short
time. If you had time to eat at only one
restaurant, which one would you choose?
(And, which dish would you order?)

Ditto, for London? We have a little
longer there, and would love any
suggestions on a good Indian restaurant.
Even some input on the best place for
traditional fish and chips?

Thanks for ALL replies!!!

Jack

Jul 7th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Mary

Jack,

Really depends on your tastes and budget? Lots of great restaurant guides
available for Paris and London.
Mary

Jul 7th, 2002, 05:33 AM
god

oh sweet jesus. that pretty much settles it, huh?

too funny! the question and the answer.

Jul 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM
s.fowler

Of course it depends on your tastes -- on the whole I prefer a good regional restaurant to the whole "fine dining" experience. And I'm only going to comment on Paris.

For a big ticket lunch [cheaper] I'd go for Le Grand Vefour -- in the Palais Royal area. I looked in last month -- the menu was exquisite and it is consistently named as a "grand experience" resto.

Me? Well I love La Fontaine de Mars in the 7e -- southwest cooking -- nicely prepared -- choice of bistro downstairs, more formal upstairs -- helpful waitstaff. Depends on the season -- but for starters I worship the mushroom "paté" and for desert, the floating island.

For a more gourmet regional "take" try Les Olivades, also in the 7e -- we ate there before Patricia Wells raved about it -- the food is high quality provençal and excellent.

Jul 7th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Al

ttt

Jul 8th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Burta

Just got back from Paris. If money is no object and you are into fine dining, my choice would be Taillevent, but you have to have reservations months ahead of time.

Other favorites that were much less expensive ($25-$30 per person including wine) were Le Bistro de Breteuil (phone: 01-45 67 07 27, fax: 01-42 73 11 0 -- reservations needed at least two weeks ahead) and Au Monde des Chimeres (phone: 01-43 54 45 27, fax: 02-43 29 84 88). The former is in the 7th, the latter on I'lle St. Louis.

Jul 8th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Sue

Lunch at Le Grand Vefour in May was 71 euro (prix fixe); it was a lovely experience and lasted for 3 hrs.
Bombay Brasserie in London for exceptional Indian food. I don't know what Indian food is like in your city, but here in Pgh. it is good, but inexpensive, and the restaurants are very modest. Bombay Brasserie is not inexpensive; upscale. But delicious!

Jul 8th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Melissa

I liked the Grand Vefour because of the extensive use of truffles. My sister (Burta!) did not care for it as much. I also hear a lot about Fontaine de la Mars on Rue St. Dominique and I could not get in for dinner, even as a solo diner! I also liked Bistrot de Bretuil (which I recommended to my sister!) and pretty much everything is good. Depends on your own taste.

In London, I heard there is a good Indian restaurant called Monsoon. I did not get to eat there, but it was recommended by a woman who suggested Geale's for fish & chips, and that was a fabulous recommendation. mmmmmmmmmm

Jul 8th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Mike

In London, you could consider catching the train to Southall, a suburb near Heathrow. Search the web for recommendations in the area. It will be an experience ...