If you had time to kill...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would you go? After travelling for 10 days at a time, a week at a time, two weeks at a time and trying to fit in as much as possible... what would you do if you didn´t have any time limits?

I recently moved to Sevilla to live the dream, but now that I´m actually here and have the oportunity to travel, I don´t even know where to start!

I would love to see Germany, Switzerland, Italy (goin to Florence and Milan in a week), Greece, Ireland, UK (aside from London), Austria, Portugal... but since it´s winter I´m not sure where to go now and where to put off until the springtime. I´d like to see as much as I could now because I´m not working all the time.

So where would you go? Any ideas/suggestions? I´m looking for more budget travel, fancy hotels are not as important to me. I´d rather save my money for more trips then spend it all one one lavish trip. I love walking and hiking, not a fan of skiing. I love castles and gardens, but I have a fairly low saturation point for museums.

Thank you in advance for your help!! Hasta luego!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Portugal is nice! You can Bus to Lisbon or the Algarve (via Huelva) from Sevilla.
You might want to go to Cadiz for Carnaval and be back in Sevilla for Semana Santa and the Feria de abril.

I would save Ireland for May or so and take RyanAir there from Jerez de la frontera. The last week of May there's a music festival in Ennis, Co. Clare. You want to be back in Sevilla for el Rocio: feria del Campo & Romeria al Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio near Almonte, Huelva that peaks on Pentecost Sunday.

There's a lot going on in Andalucia in the Spring, including el Puerto de Santa Maria's Feria de Primavera.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:54 AM
aggiemom

I'd probably kick around the UK or Germany. I'm interested in genealogy and my ancestors are from Germany, Ireland and England. I'd love to spend days around their former stomping grounds, exploring streets, castles, churches, countryside.

I'd take my time, scouring the old archives, such as parish church records, wills, etc and trying to find out what daily life was like for those ancestors.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Ned! Definitely good ideas!! I´m also a huge fan of RyanAir. Didn´t think of taking them out of jerez de la frontera though, so thanks!! I´m looking to do some travelling the next couple weeks since I leave for Italy on the 18th. I won´t be working or anything these next couple weeks so I figure now´s the time to travel, right?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Austria!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

What about Austria? Salzburg? Anything this time of year in particular?

RyanAir has a flight from Jerez to Frankfurt... what about a weekend in Germany?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I think my "no time limits" would also have to include "no money limits" either. But ideally I'd like to do an around the world trip where I stay in places I've always wanted to go to until I get tired of them and just move on spontaneously to the next place close by that strikes my fancy. Start maybe in Helsinki, then Amsterdam, then Venice, then Dubrovnik, Athens, etc....
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Is there some reason you don't want to visit France?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM

In winter or early spring, I'd go to Morocco.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM
lawchick

Austria
and then if you're cold
Portugal

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

I have a friend from France and am waiting to go with her, that´s really the only reason. My roomate is going to Morocco today!! She´s terribly excited.

My family is Swiss, so I´m thinking of just hoppin on RyanAir to Milan a couple days early and then hoppin on a Cisalpino train to Zurich. Might be fun (But COLD).

Anyone have any stories from their best spur-of-the-moment trip?? My roomate´s trip to Morocco was decided yesterday! Guess it´s not too far of a trip though, we´ll see how it goes!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM

I went to New York from Sydney on a spur-of-the moment thing last August & had a ball. "If I can get FF's ..." Did, rented an apartment on the net, met friends from London I didn't know were going to be in NYC before I booked, another I thought was still living in Italy. Absolute highlight was being invited to a fellow Fodorite's home for a day. New friends, old friends, the most wonderful experiences - on a whim!

If any of your local airlines/ railways has "mystery" trips, why not do one of those? I did it here once & spent the weekend in Mildura, an area I'd never thought about visiting and which was great.

I guess it also depends on whether your "no time limits" also extends to "no $ limits" If the latter, I (being a warm blooded mammal & observing the cold in EU at the moment) would be tempted to head for warm climates