Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had seven days in Tuscany, would you stay in 1 place, or split it between 2?

Search

If you had seven days in Tuscany, would you stay in 1 place, or split it between 2?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:37 PM
KathyO

We're planning for next year and are thinking 3 days in Rome, 7 in Tuscany and then 3 in the Cinque Terre. While in Tuscany, we're leaning toward Montepulciano as a base but we still want to visit the Chianti region and possibly Florence for a day.

We love the idea of getting to know a small area well and having a home for a week, but are we making it hard on ourselves by not slitting Tuscany into North and South? Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I vote for one place for 7 days, as most rental villas work on a Saturday to Saturday basis. If you rent a car, you should be able to see the places you mention fairly easily. But have you thought of staying a little further north, possibly IN the Chianti region? That way, you could easily access Florence and most of the hilltowns.

There's something magical about staying in a castle, a villa, or a farmhouse for a week in Tuscany. For a little slice of time, you become a part of the place. I know you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:08 PM
RLA

In short, can you, Hagan, or anyone, offer a short list of pros/cons of staying in a castle, farmhouse, villa, or other viable option? They are all so different and probably all worthy. How do you ever decide if you have equal interest in all?
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM

Hi KathyO,
The last time I was in Italy, we rented a farm house for a week and then just did day trips each day. I stayed in Volterra at Podere Fraggina Agriturismo. The place was lovely, the owners very nice and I found it to be a perfect location.

From that farm house ,we did day trips to San Gimignano, Siena, Pisa even north of Pisa to Carrara, one day all the way to Cortona to eat dinner ( of course that was a late night back to the house) When I think of it each night back was a late night. I loved it. Then the second week , we divided it up with a few days in Rome, a few days in Venice and ended the trip in Florence. We ended up in Italy about 19 days.

Now in a few weeks I'll be returning only this time I'm staying in the Umbria region , a few days in Rome and then ending the trip on the Amalfia Coast.
Have fun with your plans.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 09:10 AM

You know, Kevin, the first twelve times you posted the same message as the one above, it wasn't so bad, but now it's starting to get on my nerves. You do know that advertising is forbidden here, right? You've made a grand total of 13 posts on Fodor's. Every single one of them has been an ad for RentVillas. Enough already!! Do you not have another single piece of advice about Europe to offer except this one company, or is that all you're allowed to do while working for them?