Tuscany dilemma- One site or two?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of your advice to help me plan this trip for four 45-53 year olds.

We are in Italy for the first time from the middle to the end of September. 4 nights in Rome; 7 in Tuscany (renting a car in Siena or somewhere and want to return it in Tuscany before boarding the train for Venice) and 3 in Venice.

Would you suggest we stay all 7 nights in Siena and daytrip from there or stay further south(where?) for 3 days and move north (where?) for the final 4 days? Based on what I've read here, the most scenic areas are within an hour or so of Siena and San Gim. Thanks for your help!!

Also, any recommendations with lodging (and parking) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Van

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:03 PM

7 days is a long time. It could work out fine if you have somewhere to stay that you REALLY like.

There are few hotels where I would consent to stay for a week. Apartment rentals are different, somehow.

Have you a Plan B if the 7 night rental does not work out? -- assuming, as I indicated, that you are talking about a hotel, not apartment, for the 4 of you.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Hi vanman,
I'd stay the 7 days near Sienna. You could do a day trip to Florence by train. Visit the surrounding area with the car. You usually have to park outside the villages anyway.
I'll be in Italy in September also with two friends. We have decided to spend our 2 weeks in Tuscany in two places.
1 week in a villa near Volterra and the 2nd week in a farmouse 1 hour north of Lucca.
I can't stand racing around, so usually base myself in one place for 7 days and do day trips.Much more restful.
What is your budget for accomodation?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:20 AM

All the best of Tuscany is within an hour drive radius of Siena--your call.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for the replies. For our accomodations, we would really like to keep it under 140 Euros. I have looked at some hotels near Siena, but would really appreciate any recommendations in this price range.

So, do you think we would get bored with 7 days to do the area surrounding Siena and Florence?

Do you recommend staying a short distance outside Siena, or just outside the walls, so we could walk in for dinner every evening?

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:10 AM

..hit Venere and look for a villa or flat. If there are 4 of you your budget is about 2000 euro for the week. You should not have difficulty finding a suitable place for that price at the end of September...there are many other ways to search on the web but venere will give you some ideas and will allow you to figure what you might find for your budget...if 140 euro for 4 this might be be much more problematic (I wasnt clear whether 140 per couple or for 4).
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry. I meant 140 Euro per couple. I am concerned that if we stay in a small village, our restaurant choices will be much smaller for 7 nights. Also, it appears to me that the areas we would hang out in are within a 2-3 hour drive from Siena. Am I looking at this correctly?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Topping. Really appreciate your input.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:33 AM

A couple of thoughts since I was in Tuscany for 2 weeks about a year and a half ago with my family...

1. I would break it up. Take 4 days in Sienna to see Tusany and maybe 3 nights in Florence? See, you don't want to take a car into Florence, traffic and parking makes it very difficult. And it is a bit of a pain to get into Florence by train - by pain I mean coordinating your group to get to the station at the right time, etc. etc. -

It's doable, but if you're asking, I would spend 4 nights in Sienna or just outside the city proper and 3 nights in Florence.

2. While you drive around Tuscany, make your way down to Assissi. It's not in Tuscany, but rather Umbria. However, it's just over the border of the two regions.

Absolutely beautiful church. And make sure you leave time to hike a little in the woods that Saint Francis used to go in to meditate. There is something special about that place. And I'm not even Catholic!!

3. Great restaurant in Tuscany...

I thought the prettiest drive we took was the
Drive from Montepulciano to Montelcini -

And for dinner, we stumbled into a great restaurant : Taverna Grappolo Blu

Definately do that.

4. Skip Arezzo. We stayed in a villa there and it was out of the way, a real pain to drive or take a train to anywhere, and the town while pretty was not as special as the other places in Tuscany.

For example...you're making a great choice with Sienna! We went for the Pallio and had to go back another day to actually see the city and it is wonderful.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mylesaway! Great suggestions. Is it really that bad to drive to the outskirts of Florence and take a bus in?

Also, is it hard to find a hotel in Siena that has adjacent parking?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Vanman -

It's not that bad to leave your car on the outskirts of Florence. We did it one day. However, it takes a lot of time away from sightseeing. And I get very antsy when I travel and I'm not sightseeing! But that's the way I travel. You might be different.

Just know this - after trying one day to drive into Florence and park outside the city and take the bus in - we decided to take the train instead. It was actually more convenient. So you might do that from Siena instead of driving.

And finally, my wife and I just decided to save even more time and stay overnight in Florence one night. I really enjoyed that.

But here's the deal...you can't go wrong in Tuscany!!!!

Myles
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Yes I think that the base area has to be comfortable and we are staying Montefalco and awaty each day.... Mylesaway where was Taverna grappolo Blu and what triggered your interest.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:17 PM

For your Florence leg, you might consider staying in Fiesole -- there is frequent bus service to Florence (3 km/5 miles) from early until late. Leave you car at your hotel and day-trip into Florence.

Unless you are REALLY into the art and must view every piece in every museum in detail, I'd split it up as others have recommended -- a few days here, a few days elsewhere. I, too, usually like to park mself in one place for as long as possible, but getting in/out of Florence easily may be more problematic. It might be more enjoyable to focus on Forence for a few days, and then relocate to do your daytripping from another less crowded base. Siena is not a bad option -- large enough for restaurants, etc., but a good base for exploring.

Villa Fiesole has on-site parking lot. This may be above your price range (who knows with seasons, exchange rates, etc.) But there are other options in Fiesole, more moderate to very expensive. The bus stops outside the hotel Villa Fiesole, and elsewhere on its way to Florence.

Once nice thing about frequent bus routes -- if the other couple is not ready to move as early as you are, you can meet them in town later. I believe in some space between friends and family memebers from time to time.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:04 AM

Hi Mylesaway,

Where is Taverna Grappolo Blu ?

Vanman628, we are doing a similar trip in early June ( family with teenagers). We found a place called Borgo Grondaie just outside the Siena wall which is described as a B&B with parking and walking distnce or bus into Siena center. Of course, we have not been there yet but sounds ideal.

We decided to spend 2 nights in Florence rather than commute there. We plan to return the car in Florence and train to Venice as well.

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM

www.Tuscany.net

I'd stay S of Siena and visit Montepulciano and vicinity for 3 nights.

Then N Of Siena in Chianti region to explore that area. Or even 2 nights in/near SanG and 2 nights in Chianti, returning car in Florence. Ah, I'm jealous!