Identifying Tourists

Search

Identifying Tourists

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identifying Tourists

Take a seat and watch the crowd go by. The natives are in a rush, they only stay in view a few seconds. All know where they are going. Tourists amble along, they goggle the window displays, they stop in the middle of the sidewalk and they apparentlly have no destination in mind. Is it black and white?
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You clearly have never seen me going to work in the morning. The closer I get to the office, the slower I walk. Tourists push past me because they can see the Eiffel Tower at the end of the street.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM

They're often the ones at a corner with a map out and pointing in opposite directions. I've seen 6 couples at once on the same corner with maps out and looking around for street signs.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Let us confine our attention to those who try not to look like tourists, and do not sport cameras or consult maps and guidebooks in the street.

In addition to what GSteed notes, you can see other tourist giveaways. For example, many of them hobble because they have already walked too far.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM

The people I can identify as tourists in Toronto are generally couples wandering about downtown during working hours, very clean (ie just popped out of the hotel room shower and into their neatly laundered, pressed and packed clothes), and stopped on streetcorners to look at a map. I always ask if I can help.

Tourists from NYC have an extra 'tell'. The hail cabs as if their lives depended on it, not realizing that getting a cab in Toronto is not the problem it is in NY.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM

This one is a no brainer...tourists are the ones who wear large white tennis shoes everywhere and chew gum violently, talk loudly and grumble...
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM

I can spot a yank at 100 paces. So can most Brits.

However the tourists in London that cause most resentment are scandiwegoans with enormous rucksacks on the tube at rush-hour; unspeakable French school parties; lots of middle aged japanese people following a bossy woman with an umbrella and the utter utter sods who stand still at the entrances to tube stations, usually with a humungous golf umbrella at eye-ball height.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM

here in europe, you can easily identify the american tourists who have been put through fodors' school on how to be european (laughably run by americans). they:

-don't smile because 'europeans' are very serious and 'don't gush' (whatever that means) as we learned on a recent thread.

-just wear black because 'europeans' just wear sophisticated black clothing.

-very formally stride up to the shopkeeper and bid him or her a 'good day' in the native language because this is what 'europeans' do.

-drink wine with every meal as it is always cheaper than soda in 'europe' (oh my gawd, am i in heaven or what?)

-think that people are split in two distinct camps 'natives' and americans.

-they are usually busy trying to identify other americans who did not go through the fodors' school on how to be european (oh my gawd, i can't believe he's wearing THAT in EUROPE).

-talk very very softly because that's how 'europeans' talk

-often seen patting themselves on the back for being such 'enlightened' and sophisticated travellers

-desparately hoping that they will be mistaken for a european (the absolute holy grail).
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM

In Florida we love our European friends and appreciate the business, but we also have some fun with them. We have many good laughs at the beach at their expense.

Watching a middle aged, overweight couple walking down the beach, he in speedos with black socks and sandals, she in thong bikini that's few sizes too small. Typical of British and Germans. French seem to have somewhat better beach fashion taste.

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM

We don't do beaches well as our little island isn't really a great place to sunbathe.

Your lucky that in America the Germans wear swimwear - over here they wander around butt nekkid.
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:57 AM

In Germany, I am sometimes asked for directions. That's probably because my ethnic background is northern European, but also because no one expects an--dare I say it?--"elderly" woman alone to be a tourist.

My basic wardrobe is black--not because I have any idea that Europeans dress in black--but because it's easier to deal with when one travels with only a carry-on size suitcase.

No one has mentioned what I suspect may be a giveaway in Spain and Italy, but especially Spain. Very light skin. I was taking a Spanish class in Madrid when my teacher mentioned that a film director was looking for non-Spanish-looking people for crowd scenes for a movie. She pointed me and another woman out as the kinds of looks the director wanted.

Old May 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Another huge giveaway for the yanks is that they want their dinner at 6pm.

Old May 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the term "yank" one only used by the British?

Is it considered polite to use as I've only ever seen it used here on Fodor's by CW and I'm not sure if it is meant to be pejorative?

Does it refer to all Americans or only those from the north?

signed,

a curious American who knows lots of British people but has so far never before been called a "yank"...
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All my Canadian friends call me "yank."
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM

It may be pejorative, but often I don't think is, when used by the British (yanks). But I"ve heard plenty of other people use it, including lots of Americans themselves (older guys, actually).
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM

I use it occasionally but never pejoratively.

Just friendly-like, y'know?
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Kerouac, your comment brought a smile to my face. I don't exactly rush out of my parking garage to work, either (although clearly your view is preferably to mine). My goal is not to "blend in" because that's impossible. I AM a tourist and despite my best efforts, I am likely to look like one. I am tall and blonde and don't look remotely French, so no one in Paris is likely to mistake me for a local, despite my dress or the speed at which I walk (not to mention my atrocious French). I agree with Peg. The majority of my wardrobe is black, but not because I think its "European". It’s because it's slimming and versatile. As a tourist, I often have a map so that I don't get lost, a camera to capture the beautiful sights I traveled around the world to see, and I've even been known to carry the *gasp* occasional guide book. Since there is no chance people will confuse me with a local, my goal is to be a polite, respectful tourist and do my best to counter any “ugly American” stereotypes. It's pretty easy to recognize tourists where I live, too, and as long as they are pleasant, I'm happy to have them here.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM

walkinaround: Very funny.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM

I actually carry a camera with me in my home town, but I live in a rather scenic area so it isn't real unusual.

The way you can tell I'm a tourist is:

-I look around and notice the locals wearing all the things that our euro-fodorite friends (e-fods) tell us are disgusting American fashions. I get a super big smile when I spot the relatively frequent hideous white trainers.

-I wear shoes that I am comfortable in and don't buy special shoes for individual countries or cities.

-I do the unthinkable of sometimes tucking my shirt into my trousers. I know it's hideous, but it adds about 10 lbs when I don't. That extra 10 though may help me blend in with the locals.

-this is a dead giveaway. In a self indulgent attempt to ward off skin cancer, I wear a hat. My hair line requires that and prevents a terrible glare (when the sun is out) on those with a more distinguished and well appointed cranium than my own.

-Who could deny the tourist here as I let my normal tone of voice get overpowered by a Canadian or worse yet, an e-fod. Oh the shame of it.

Yikes ... folks who sit around trying to decide who the tourists are need to find something valuable to do … like charity work.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<i> look around and notice the locals wearing all the things that our euro-fodorite friends (e-fods) tell us are disgusting American fashions. I get a super big smile when I spot the relatively frequent hideous white trainers.</i>

Hi wojazz-

With a few exceptions, I think all the posters worrying about what Americans do or don't wear, are American not European. IME, Europeans aren't all that concerned with what anyone else is wearing. And they can be just as guilty of their own funny quirks - like the socks and sandals look!

I'd be a tourist along with you any day.

gruezi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -