Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas where to stay in Venice ( or near Venice)

Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am starting this thread to get some additional ideas on areas where to stay in Venice.

My personal favorite is Dorsoduro http://www.traveltovenezia.com/dorso...duro-sestiere/ but I would also like to hear some other idea from people who stayed for example in Lido.

Is it realistic to get quickly from Lido to Venice?

Once I stayed in one small city on mainland ( Dolo next to Mira). This was quite a discovery and I have to say much better option than staing in Mestre wich is basically industrial suburb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolo

Dolo is a small city village from where you can go to Venice but is much cheaper than staying in Venice and more beatiful than Mestre.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:28 AM

I found the Lido to be a PIA when stayed there for a meeting (this is where the conference center is). Before staying there I would check to see if there is a congress on If there is you can find yourself waiting in mobs 30 to 45 minutes before you can get a vaporetto back to the mainland - plus the 25 minute ride on the vaporetto. Also in winter weather the beaches really aren't an attraction and the area tends to be quiet except for days with conventions.

Not a problem for us since our hotel gave us a private launch for our schedule, but some of the attendees complained about the very long waits to get on a boat.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:29 AM

Padua (Padova). With the frequent Regionale trains 30 to 45 minutes from Venice at the sum of EUR 4,05 (single journey). Normal living and working university city which is worth a visit for its own sake.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 04:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The old city square in Mestre (not the victorian one) looks pretty nice, but I wouldn't stay there.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 06:14 AM

Lido, as suggested is a bit far , Padua is a nice spot but I would here stay there
to be" in Venice" ( one has to get to and from train station in each town)
We stayed one time on ST. Elena which was very nice but still required
frequent vaporetto travel.
Dorsoduro is a good choice.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've stayed in Venice about half a dozen times so far and I still can't get enough of it. I like to stay in a different part of the city each time which lets me get to know it thoroughly.

however many times I go, there are still new things to see and explore.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 08:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only been to Venice twice and both times stayed Dorsoduro (La Calcina). Lido might be fun to try, but I don't see how it could be convenient or quick.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 08:48 AM

We are staying in a very lovely little apartment right now in Saint Angelo. Quiet but close to everything. no canal view. One bedroom. If you want details let me know. I think about €120 p night (we booked for the week). It's delightful. Bought the weekly vaporetto pass and after one day already great value. But can walk most place. K