Accommodations: Outskirts of Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am exhausted from searching endless sources for a modestly priced accommodation for a family of 2 adults and 3 teenage kids near Venice. We'll only need it for one night (June 21). Can anyone help with names and how to contact?
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:37 PM

This is no time to economize. The outskirts of Venice are nasty and no fun what so ever. Walking around at night or rubber necking on the vaporetti in Venice is hudge fun.

If you are die hard on price, at least stay at a pension or hostel right in Venice.

If you stay on the outskirts your entertainment will be watching Italian TV, which is only slightly worse than ours, and fewer channels.

Better to sign up for one of those endless credit card offers, load it to the hilt while traveling and cut it up when you get back.

If you must, try the hotel Anthony, it is on the road between the airport and Venice, maye10 min by car from the AP and 20 from town. Remember, the restaurant choices will be zilch outside of town and you burn up a lot of time getting to and fro, and taxis cost, so what do you save?
Old May 17th, 2003, 03:05 AM

Totally agree with the above poster. STAY IN VENICE!!
Old May 17th, 2003, 03:38 AM

Another vote for staying in Venice. I was searching for outskirs accomodations last year and finiallyl took the advice to stay IN Venice and it was the best advice I ever got here. Also, it wasn't any cheaper or easier to stay in Mestre (Lido would be worse). Try Venere.com
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Here's one that's a bit less than most because it's on Murano--only a few minutes Vaporetto ride from the main parts of the city. Murano has a charm all its own--certainly preferable to Mestre.

http://www.venicehotel.it/venice_hotel.htm
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Hi ashcanannie - Another vote for staying in Venice.

Try the Hotel Caneva, a 1 star with some rooms overlooking a small canal. It was clean and safe and midway between Rialto and St. Marks. Two years ago a double was about 70USD with breakfast (that was for paying cash; with credit card it would have been a bit more). Their fax number is: 041-520-8676.

adrienne
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Hi, ashcanannie!
I am sure all the above posters are correct in their recommendation -- and I have found Adrienne's advice so useful in the past that I have copied and pasted quite a lot of what she has offered; however, with a family of four to bed-down cheaply in in Venice at the beginning of July (the Aussie dollar being what it is), I ended up doing what you are planning to do: I booked somewhere where there are lots of trains and the journey is less than an hour each way. We haven't visited yet, so I will tell you how this turns out when we return, but I can tell you that we saved about half the cost of even a one- or two-star hotel in Venice (we're paying around 20 euros per person per night). The site where we found the best pickings is http://www.veniceandcountry.com/home.asp?home=yes.
If you can't afford to follow the sage advice from the other posters, maybe this site will uncover a relatively-painless alternative. Good luck!
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:24 AM

HI ashcanannie,

Here are some posts from previous threads.

Author: Paulo
Date: 07/29/1999, 11:44 amMessage: In Venice, I doubt you'll find anything better than the Ostello della Gioventu. My daughters stayed there two years ago and had no complaints whatsoever. It's very well located (a 5min vaporetto ride to San Zaccaria/San Marco), clean, safe (there are individual lockers for luggage), 6-birth dorms and fun. The only drawback ... the 11:30pm curfew. Current rate for B&B is Lit 27,000. Online booking possible. For details, refer to
http://www.hostels-aig.org/shop-uk/in-venezia.htm

another
The Hotel Campiello is a nice small hotel just behind the Savoia & Jolanda, which faces the Grand Canal. Their web site is www.hcampiello.it. Give them a try; bet they aren't booked yet.

This is a convent or monastery
Instituo San Giuseppe,
Ponte della Guera, Castello 54U2, Venice
a few years ago.
Phone: 011 39 41 522 5351

Good luck!

Old May 17th, 2003, 07:31 AM

It'd be helpful if you'd suggest a price range; what one person considers "modestly priced" may not coincide with your expense range. In addition to the suggestions offered on this forum, also review the travel board on the Lonely Planet. Overall it attracts a more cost conscious group -- the backpackers - hostel crowd and on up. --- http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
Another site that attracts those with modest budgets is Rick Steves --- www.ricksteves.com
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Message for Alan - thanks so much for letting me know my advice helped you in the past - your comment made me feel really good on a cold, rainy morning in New Jersey.

Best wishes in your future travels,
adrienne
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:46 AM
gb

A couple of years ago, we had the same concern. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Quarto D'Altino, few mile north of Venice. The palce was reasonably price ad about as you would expect with a great free breakfast. We took the train from there to Venic-about a 10 minute ride. It was around $90 a night at that time. The neighborhood was middle class and did not feel unsafe. In fact, we had a great time on the beach front in the evening a Lido di Jesolo. Also, check that town for goog priced hotel. If I ever go back, I would look there. Not in Venice, but when on a budget, it was great.
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:48 AM
gb

sorry about the typos
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! I'm encouraged by the possibilities you've provided. Starting my search now.
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Last year when I was planning our trip, I found a REALLY good deal at a nice hotel on expedia.com. There are several sites like this, so check them out and compare prices. There is also a huge difference at some hotels between weekdays and weekends, if you could work around that.