Ideas reSte. Germain du Pres area

Feb 21st, 2002, 07:59 AM
Anthony

Ideas reSte. Germain du Pres area

Some young friends of mine are renting an apartment in this area for a week in mid-June.

Things they are interested in are finding food-shopping places nearby (they will cook many of their own meals),cultural activities in this area, etc..

Thanks!

Feb 21st, 2002, 08:37 AM
c

Foodstuff: ther is a store on rue de Grenelle that sells American products, if they get hungry for something familiar-The General Store.
Rue be Buci is THE food street in that area...everything they could want!
Au Bon Marche department store has a food market-epicerie.
Cultural activites-they need to get a Pariscope or Time Out when they get there.Eglise St Germain des Pres has concerts that are lovely, especially being in the old church..
All along Blvd St Germain are book stores, galleries off of the blvd..they will find more than enough great stuff to do!

May 10th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Louis

A large "Monoprix" Supermarket located downstairs at 41 rue de Rennes, near Place du Québec, right across the street from St-Germain -des-Prés Church.

May 10th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Christina

When I've done grocery shopping in that area, I've gone to a Champion supermarche which I think is on rue de Seine, a block or so north of bd St-Germain. That, plus the Monoprix, are the two main grocery stores in that area, I think. The Buci small food stores have some interesting stuff, but it's expensive.

As far as cultural activities, all they have to do is by a weekly entertainment guide (Pariscope or l'Officiel des Spectacles) from a news kiosque when they get there and they'll find everything going on by genre and location.

May 10th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Barb

Anthony--Your friends have picked my favorite neighborhood! Two years ago my husband and I stayed in Hotel du Dragon, on rue du Dragon, just a block from St. Germain des Pres. We used the Monoprix mentioned by Louis every day to buy fruit, bottled water, juice, and picnic supplies. The patisserie on rue du Dragon was wonderful; my husband still talks about it. I'll be back in Paris in June, and wanted to stay in the area, but couldn't locate wheelchair friendly accommodations for my brother, who I am accompanying for this trip.

They can pick up TIMEOUT PARIS for activities and events; the area is not far from a world of entertainment and cultural opportunities. There is also great metro access--by planning ahead, we usually could choose a nearby station that would require only one train change to get almost anywhere.