Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shopping in St. Germain des Pres & the Latin Qtr. (Paris of course)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Pat

Hi, we're splitting up our visit into two areas of Paris. We'll be spending 2 nights in the St. Germain area and then after returning from Switzerland, we'll be staying for 4 nights in the Latin Qtr. We've never stayed in either area before and are looking forward to it. How is the shopping in both districts? Is one area more preferable to the other? I'm referring to shoes, clothes, and patisseries. Thanks.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 05:28 AM
francesca

These districts are right next door to each other and some would even argue where one leaves and the other takes over. The 6th, esp. blvd St Germain, has more chain stores. Also more luxury shops (on rue des Saints Peres, for instance). The 6th also has more upscale antique shops and galleries (rue de Seine, the Quai des Grands Augustins, etc). The 5th is more student-y but has such gems as Dyptique. Both are good for shopping in different ways. The Marais is another nice place to find one-of boutiques. Tell me what you are looking for and I can try to give you some ideas. I am working on a Paris shopping guide at present. Cheers.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 05:33 AM
andi

For shoes, Rue de Dragon in the 6th, right off Blvd. St. Germain, is a must, shoe store heaven. Continue on Blvd. St. Germain and it veers off slightly to the right (I think) and turns into Rue du Cherche Midi, which has lots of interesting boutiques for housewares and, especially, unique clothing. Another good street for clothes shopping off St. Germain is Rue Bonaparte.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Pat

Francesca & Andi, thanks to both of you for the kind suggestions. I'll be visiting Paris next month and just wanted to get an idea of what to find and where to find them. The items I'm looking for are what I mentioned before: shoes, clothes, and yes, the pastry shops. <BR><BR>I'll check rue de Dragon and blvd. St. Germain as you both suggest. Thanks again!

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Christina

I've never noticed any good clothes/shoes shopping in the 5th arr. There are good patisseries almost anywhere in Paris, though, within a few blocks. The 5th is rather large, so it depends where you are staying as to what might be close to your hotel. I think there are some interesting shops for books and small items, miscellaneous stuff, on the small streets in-between bd St-Germain and the quais (in the 5th). There are several good cookbook and food item shops in the 5th, actually, that's the main thing I can think of that is special there (probably depends on my interests).<BR><BR>There is a good one at 4, rue Dante near the Seine (Librairie Gourmande). I think that store also has a lot of children's books and games. Librairie des Gourmets at 98 rue Monge is another large bookstore, specializing in books on food and wine.<BR><BR>You should find several patisseries on rue Monge, I'd guess -- I know there is one at the corner of Val de Grace and place Laveran at the southern end of the quartier, which is pretty good, as well as several along bd de Port Royal, just east of the Port Royal metro at the bottom.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
francesca

I would suggest rue du Four for clothes, rue du Dragon and rue du Cheche Midi for shoes and Gerard Mulot for pasteries, all in the 6th.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Paula

I'm not much of a shopper but I do enjoy a good pastry. I very much agree with the recommendation of Gerard Mulot (76, rue de Seine - closed Wed.). Their macaroons are delectable. If you are in the neighbourhood, its worth stopping by if only to admire their lovely display.<BR><BR>Although I haven't had the pleasure of personal experience, I have heard that a very good pastry shop in the Latin Quarter is the following:<BR><BR>Patisserie Boulangerie Alsacienne<BR>(Andre Lerch)<BR>4, rue Cardinal Lemoine<BR>- closed Mon & Tues<BR>- known for simple fruit tarts, kougelhoph, madeleines, etc.<BR><BR>They are both on my list for the next trip! Bon Appetit!<BR><BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:40 PM
andi

A word on patisseries - they are everywhere. I have yet to find one that wasn't wonderful. Just enjoy the discovery - you may find your own favorite or try a different one every day.