Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for Europe trip w/ senior citizen mom?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I are trying to plan a trip to Europe in late March/early April. She is in her 70's, but quite mobile and a great traveler. We have been to Rome and London together, and are looking for another great city to visit for about 5 days. We love to go places where we can do a lot of walking, shopping and eating. Paris is not an option as she does not want to go to France, and neither is Vienna or Prague because my husband and I are already planning a separate trip to those cities. We have considered Barcelona, Lisbon and Venice so far, but we are open to any and all suggestions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM

What a shame she doesn't want to visit Paris. It is a lovely city and so accessible and good for all the things you like to do. However, all is not lost - if you are looking for a great city to visit for 5 days, Venice is wonderful. Is it possible to go a little later in the spring? I have never been to Venice in early April but someone on this forum will be able to give you a general idea of the weather at that time.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
ira

Hi mack,

I agree that it is a shame she doesn't want to go to Paris.

Think how disappointed she will be when she gets to heaven and finds that Paris would have been better.

I took my mother to Paris in May. It took me years to get her to go. She is still talking about how wonderful it was.

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34497442
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Well, if she doesn't want to go to Paris don't everyone else worry about it. She will be fine in Heaven anyway, Ira.

I suggest Venice, but remember that the end of March is Easter. I have not been to Spain, but many others here have.

How about one of the islands such as Sicily or Sardenia?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM

If Paris is out (maybe she'll reconsider?) then Venice is a great idea. Florence too.

I don't know Barcelona or Lisbon.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:47 PM

Why so many Paris recommendations? Well, you see, all Fodor posters must "convert" one sinner before getting a gold travel star. It's almost a cult here.

Venice would be my choice for your situation.

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Okay, I'll throw out another idea -- Madrid. We did this for a five-day vacation last year and had a great time. A very walkable city, but there is also a good public transit system. Some notable museums -- art and otherwise. Great shopping. Great food. Beautiful parks and public squares. And some good day trip options to Segovia and Toledo, both of which are only an hour bus ride away.

I know not everyone loves Madrid, but it is one of my favorite cities, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

My mother, who is around 70, was there on a tour a few years ago and also liked it. She's expressed interest in going back.

Venice is, of course, another good option.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Berlin.

It's an amazing city that's very underrated. You're mother is old enough to appreciate a lot of its history over the last 50 years or so.

There are many sights to see in the old East Berlin where the wall used to run. Museums, Check Point Charlie, etc.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I second Berlin. We stayed a week and would go back in a heartbeat. I like to do all of the things you mentioned. Next time I go I'll be over 70 and, hopefully, still walking the streets all day. CJ
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Consider her level of mobility if choosing Venice. Once away from the Grand Canal, Venice is a walking city with many ups and downs over the bridges. Cities such as Barcelona are in some ways easier, even if larger, because a more comprehensive public transportation system--including taxis--is available.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:45 PM

I agree Berlin would be a good choice
for many reasons. If mobility is mildly limited, Berlin is flat, and at least some of the transit stations have elevators. It is a very interesting city, both currently and historically. There are plenty of places to shop and eat.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Of course, there is Amsterdam and while 5 days might be too long, a two day excursion to Brugge would be a worthwhile excursion.

Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm are all great cities to visit and a trip to any of them can be augmented by some day trips.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 07:12 PM

I don't know Italy so can't recommend anything there, although I suspect there are a lot of good places. For late March/April, I'd suggest Andalucia in Spain, specifically Seville.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Lisbon is an amazing city. on top of its history, culture it is close to the sea and to the mountains. within a 15 minute train journey you are in Sintra, classified by Unesco world heritage and in Cascais with its fine beaches. it is also near Arrabida and its nice hills and beaches where you can do dolphin watching. lisbon in itself is just great! lots of things to do and things to see. cosmopolitan and culturally very rich. for sure you won't regret it.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM

Parts of Lisbon are quite hilly though, as I recall, though it was a few years ago. Personally the place I've always wanted to go, and have yet to get round to, is Florence. Aside from that, what about Seville? Or Edinburgh or Copenhagen?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your great replies. Sounds like Venice is a favorite among the fodorites, and I will definitely look into Berlin as well I agree it is a shame that she won't go to Paris, but I will get there with my husband someday! Thanks again.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all who have replied. I thought I would post again to see if I got any other suggestions. Thanks!!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 11:27 AM

What is your mom interested in?

I also vote for Venice, but it's true that she may have to walk a lot.

While I enjoyed Berlin a great deal, I really walked a lot there. Distances seemed very great, even with the extensive transportation links. Maybe that was because I was trying to see too much in my visit, which was very short.

I also enjoyed Barcelona, and I'm going to Lisbon next week.

Amsterdam didn't quite appeal to me the very first time I was there, but I liked it on my recent visit. That would be another obvious suggestion. Did you consider it? I've not been to Bruges, but it's reputedly beautiful. You don't have to spend all your 5 days in Amsterdam if you don't want to.

Other obvious choices: Switzerland (but perhaps nature isn't a prime concern?). Northern Europe -- I've not been, but I plan to go soon.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM

Ah ok, late March/early April -- I don't know.... It could be too early for Venice, Scandinavia or Switzerland.

Christina's suggestion of Andalucia makes sense, but I don't know if there's much shopping to be done. Barcelona or Lisbon should also be good choices. I preferred Barcelona to Madrid, but I'll be in Madrid again very briefly next week, so we'll see.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 11:48 AM

I vote for Florence or Venice.
Florence is very easy to get around, it is beautiful, the food is amazing. the art is first rate, and of course the shopping is super. It could be a good choice for a "mother bonding trip."
Everyone I know who loves to shop, always returns with tons of purchases from Florence, even at the terrible exchange rates!
Venice is another good choice, but only if she really is able to walk without a problem, as there are the little bridges all over crossing the canals, and large wonderful squares, that require walking.
"A List" and the Italians are always warm and embracing.

I love Barcelona, but the evenings could cramp your style, as people have dinner quite late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -