Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for anniversary dinner in Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello --

We will be in Positano for our anniversary in early July. I'd love to hear your ideas for a special dinner with a lovely view, but more importantly, wonderful food. We'd like to spend no more than $100 total, so fanciness is not a concern.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

So, I hit "post" by accident when I was creating this last night. I intended to give thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

So, any suggestions? If not, are we out of Positano's price range for a nice meal? =)

Thanks! Heather.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Pausanias

The restaurant at Le Sirenuse is exceptionally good and offers perhaps the classic view from Positano. http://www.sirenuse.it/

However, it's expensive and I don't know if $100.00 will cover it -- probably pretty close though.

Been lucky enough to have had our honeymoon dinner there and several anniversaries since. Looking to get back as it has been a while . . .

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Hlocke, since funds are an issue, you might try Le Sirenuse for cocktails before or after dinner (dinner somewhere else!)- check out their website - they have a champagne bar with what looks like a great view! I don't know for sure becasue I haven't been there yet - We'll be there in three weeks and will check it out! Happy anniversary!!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I've been hearing great things about La Tagliata. It is in a little town up the hill from Positano called Monteperso (sp?). Seems like most people spent about 60-70€ which comes to just about $100.
Enter "La Tagliata" into the search box and several reviews will come up. The restaurant will even send a car for you to pick you up in Positano.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM

I had saved these reviews (by other Fodorites) about La Tagliata.

Several locals had recommended La Tagliata for dinner. The restaurant is between Monteperuso and Nocella. They actually sent a taxi down to the coast to pick us up. (we did not want to try the turns on the road after having wine with dinner!). The place was amazing. We really let the host order for us. We began the meal with a house anti pasta plate. Next came a mixed pasta plate followed by a mixed grill of meats (steak, sausage, chicken, lamb etc) for me and a mixed seafood plate for my boyfriend. I think both plates could have served 3 to 4 people. Without even asking, they brought us a sampling of 3 desserts-limoncelli and coffee. The bill including our car service with beer and wine was 60 euro. 2002 review

La Tagliata is on the sea side of the hill. It has an expansive outdoor patio area, and a large inside area with a big grill in the middle of it. It is known for their meats. It has big open windows looking down the hill to Montepertuso town, to Positano and the sea. What a view! Next to us was an Italian family of four; all sharing various items on the menu, like at home. We followed their lead. We shared a mixed antepasto with crusty potatoes, ham and cheese and other little bits of good stuff that we did not dare to ask what was in it; followed by four types of pasta in tomato sauces on a big plate that we passed around; then a mixed grill and lamb dish. The lamb was fabulous! We saw the chef cooking our meal on the big grill, and pouring some liquid over it that contained herbs. While we were eating, we could hear the music playing in the churchyard down the mountain in the town. Cost was 81,00 euro for the four of us. 2004 review

A rustic, local place called La Tagliata with friendly staff serving almost only meats grilled on the open fire with a beautiful view looking to Positano below. We let the server choose our meal/wine for us, delicious antipasto of local dried meats, olives, grilled vegetables and tomatoes followed by pasta with shredded boar and then to an assortment of grilled meats (beef, veal, lamb), delicious. They will pick you up, in our case in one of those orange Positano city buses, and after dinner take you back to your hotel. 2004 review

Also ate at la Tagliata, more food than I could imagine. The grilled secondi piatti, whether fish or meat, contained enough for three people. I suggest ordering a pasta dish and splitting the next course. – A lot of fun, with the entire extended family involved in the operation. 2004 review

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies so far!

Jujubean - can't wait to see your report back. Enjoy your trip!

TexasAggie -- I'll definitely look into La Tagliata. I appreciate the suggestion. This may sound silly, but do they drive you back to Positano, as well? =)

Anyone else have ideas?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

TexasAggie -- La Tagliata does sound wonderful... and one of your reviews answered my question about getting home. Thanks again!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:47 AM

There are 2 other restaurants in Montepertuso, the Donna Rosa and Il Ritrovo. You can't go wrong with either of those.
Happy Anniversary!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was the 81 euro for 4 part of Aggie's reviews, and yes, they pick you up and the restaurant calls the driver after the meal and they take you back down the hill to your hotel. Because we went up during the festival in Montepertoso, we elected to walk down to the town itself (short beautiful walk), partake in the festivities, then took the bus back to Positano. The festival takes place on July 2nd and there are fireworks -- much prettier up there, but can also be seen at various spots in Positano.

We also had a good dinner at Buca di Bacco down by the beach in Positano, overlooking the sea, but I'd say it's more touristy than I'd want for an anniversary dinner.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Thanks for adding even more info Surfergirl
We are planning on lunch or dinner at La Tagliata in just about 2.5 weeks - can't wait!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Texasaggie,

sounds like you and I are going parallel to each other! When do you leave?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"There are 2 other restaurants in Montepertuso, the Donna Rosa and Il Ritrovo. You can't go wrong with either of those."

I can concur with Lewis regarding Donna Rosa. Great food and a wonderful family who runs it. There have also been glowing posts regarding Il Ritrovo.

Grab a cab, and take a look at the wonderful views as you head higher and higher from Positano. Enjoy.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:36 AM

We enjoyed two lovely dinners at a restaurant called Cafe Positano located on the road as you enter Positano. The restaurant has tables inside on two floors and two options for dining alfresco. There are tables at the road level cliffside (fun to watch the waiters navigate food and drinks crossing the road) and our favourite - two tiny balconies on the second floor with just enough room to seat two.
We loved the small balcony overlooking the lights of Positano and the road below (less noise and at night, traffic was not busy so fumes were not an issue for us).
This place is well within your budget - the food was very good as well and we enjoyed complimentary limoncellos when they found out we were on our honeymoon. If you are interested, you would definitely want to reserve the above tables as there are only two.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Surfergirl - thanks for the info! As luck would have it, our anniversary is on July 2. Any info on how we could make reservations from home before we leave? I tried looking for a website for the restaurant, but didn't come across one... Thanks! -- Heather.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Lewis, maitaitom, and hana -- Thank you for the additional suggestions. They all sound wonderful.

Any other ideas for restaurants in Positano... in case the festival causes the above-mentioned to already be reserved? Thanks -- Heather.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Heather:

La Tagliata does not seem to have a Web site, but it does have telephone and fax numbers:

La Tagliata
Loc. Montepertuso
Telefono: 089/875872
Fax: 089/8122020

I would suggest that you send them a fax; don't forget the 011 (for long distance access) and 39 (for Italy) before the number given above. And you do have to dial the 0 before the 89.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Another recommendation for IL RITROVO, also in Montepertuso. Try to go at dusk so that you can enjoy the incredible views from the huge picture windows. The food is out of this world. And yes, I think they still arrange roundtrip transportation for guests. Just ask your hotel desk to call ahead and confirm.

Have a wonderful dinner!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I just tried the fax number listed above for La Tagliata and people were answering the phone...

Looked online and didn't see a different fax number so who knows?

We're just going to have out hotel make our reservation
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Email your hotel and they will make the reservation for you. You pick up the big cab right at the main square in front of the farmacia. Our hotel made the reservations for us either that morning or the night before. The cab seats about 8 people, and they stop at various hotels on the way up. I remember we got in at the square, then the driver (wonderful female -- incredible driving skills!) took us to Hotel California, right up by Le Sireneuse and picked up a few more, then the fun ride up and up and up and round and round. Do ask the hotel to get you a table with a view. On that day, you will hear wonderful music from the church below -- al fresco orchestra made up of local high schoolers. Oh, so much fun!

Also, the other restaurant someone recommended, Donna Rosa, is right smack in the middle of Montepertuso town, right across from the church if I remember correctly. I don't think the view is as good, but I heard the food is fantastic.

Beware, the night before the festival, down in Positano, you will hear be loud bangs (they are doing their practice fireworks) and might even be able to see a few the evening of the first.

I wish I were you -- this is bringing back such great memories (even though not a year old!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -