Reload this Page >

Ideas for a unique gift from Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Rome Trip

I just found out I have to go to Rome for a last minute trip. I'd like to bring back something you can only get in Rome for my wife. A unique gift that says Rome or Italy say around $100-200. THanks

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Eye Spy

So much you could buy:<BR>- a pair of sunglasses from a nice optician since many styles do not even get over here;<BR>- a brand new leather wallet;<BR>- an Italian scarf from one of the chic stores;<BR>- if you're Catholic, a beautiful new rosary or olive wood carved statue of a saint you can buy on Via della Conciliazione by Piazza San Pietro;<BR>- a gold ring <BR>- an antique framed print of Rome from one of the bookstores<BR>- an authentic Italian espresso maker in aluminum.<BR><BR>The list goes on and I was not trying to be touristy or anything.<BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:32 PM
sally

I brought back a nice print of one of the roman squares (I long rectangular poster). It looks great and only cost about $50. the book store Feltrini (which is a chain and has various shops around the city) has a lot of nice posters of rome, maps, etc.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Rome Trip

Thanks for the responses. I particularly like the framed print ideas. Then we both enjoy it for years to come.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Rex

There are lots of good shops with prints and maps, so maybe it's silly to mention one in particular. I don't know its name, but I can tell you how to find it (wish this were true for alot of other places in Italy!)<BR><BR>Start at Albergo del Senato (right in front of the Pantheon) - - especially apropos if you are staying at this very nice hotel!<BR><BR>Walk in the direction of Piazza della Minerva - - not more than 200 yards away. This shop will be on your left, less than half of that 200 yards.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:57 AM
lampshade

The only item that I can think of that is uniquely Rome would be the hand-made and hand-painted paper/vellum lampshades made there by roman artesans for centuries. (Especially the semi-circular Roman shades.) There are several shops around Campo di Fiori, check a "shopping" guide. They pack them in what look like re-inforced hatboxes, all very lightweight and travels nicely. Nice variety all within your price range. I usually buy several of varying sizes and have them all packed inside each other in same carry case. Fits under plane seat. Most of the rest of the items suggested could feasibly come from anywhere when you think about it.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Greg

Where would be a good place to by a leather wallet (or leather shoes, belt, briefcase)?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Greg

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Danielle

I was in Rome two years ago and found an absolutely wonderful store that sold an assortment of fine leather goods. It's called Ibiz. I don't have the address or phone number on hand, but I'll hunt through my Rome materials and send it if I find it. I bought two beautiful leather handbags and a wallet. Haven't seen anything quite like them in the US.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Ann

Add a couple of hundred to it and take her with you. That's the best gift of all. My husband always takes me and when my daughter was small, she came along, too. The company knows about.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Marilyn

There are nice shops--like Gucci, etc.--on Via Condotti. M.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Ann

Here's the address for Ibis<BR><BR>Ibiz Roma<BR>Artigianato in Cuoio<BR>Via dei Chiavari, 39