Iceland or Belgium?

Search

Iceland or Belgium?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland or Belgium?

I'm using miles for an extensive rtw trip. My second last stop is London. As departure taxes are super expensive from London I was thinking of heading to Brussels by Eurostar and using miles to fly back. Or, buying an inexpensive one way ticket on Iceland Air with a two night stopover in Reykjavik.

This is for travel in November. I've been to both, Belgium and Iceland. My main interest in Iceland is to see the Northern Lights, but I would only stop for two nights and I do understand that's possible the Northern Lights won't be active during my stay (or that it may snow or rain).

In Belgium, visiting Ghent is of some appeal. I've been to Brugges on a previous trip and don't care to return. I'm a beer drinker, so I'll enjoy some local brews (oh, and chocolate too). Would also like to visit the Atomium from inside (I vaguely remember seeing it from outside on my first visit to Belgium). If I choose Belgium instead of Iceland I'd spend three nights there before flying across the pond.

What are the pros and cons of each destination and what do people on this forum recommend?
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Iceland cons: very expensive - long long nights - often misty I think then - alcohol costs a fortune - bring in whatever you can or do the duty-free at Keflavik Airport as everybody returning to Iceland does.

Brussels in November - possibly very possibly funcky wet cool but not really cold weather - short days.

You may want to go to Westmalle or some old abbey for a Trappist beer tour.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 02:11 PM

Atomium inside is definitely not worth it. Brussels is a fabulous city.
Never been to Iceland
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 05:52 PM

"departure taxes are super expensive from London"
Not taxes. Your airline points system is transferring the blame for the costs of doing business. It is the bottom-line price that counts. If it is too expensive, that is a consumer lesson for the future.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 05:59 PM

I would visit Belgium. Iceland is a quirky country with one oddest landscapes on earth. There are more to see in Belgium.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 10:12 AM

I love Iceland, but we went in the summer. I would think the weather in November in Iceland could be an issue. In Belgium it would probably be cold and wet, but I doubt there's much chance of 50 mph wind and blizzards.