Search

Iceland in February - trying to choose between two trips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2018, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland in February - trying to choose between two trips

Hi all

Was hoping someone might have some insight on which itinerary would be better for Iceland in February. Planning a break of 5 or 6 nights during the mid-term break.

We will spend a few nights in Reykjavik, but want to pick one area to explore on a 2-day trip. Given the time of year we will be constrained by weather so are looking to explore an area close to Reykjavik and have narrowed it down to 2 areas: out along the south coast to Diamond Beach and an Ice Cave, or up Northwest of Reykjavik to the Snaefellsness peninsula. I've found 2 tours which pretty much summarise the main attractions in each area:

https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holid...ufell?a=101796
https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holid...he-south-coast

The Snaefellsness peninsula tour sounds great for sightseeing. On the other hand we love being active and we also have a 12 year old daughter who loves DOing rather than SEEing, so we were all attracted by the idea of the ice cave, but I am not sure if it is worth swapping the Snaefellsness peninsula for the southern coast just for 45 minutes in the ice cave, unless it would be a good trip to do anyway.

Any input / comments would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jane
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Well, having been to all those locations when it wasn't snowing, I vote for the south. Jökulsárlón is amazing. I found the lava cave interesting but more for being in a lava cave than seeing the cave itself. I imagine an ice cave would be more spectacular
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that Peg. Now that I think of it, we have been in lava tubes in Lanzarote, so I'm tending towards the south now! Cheers.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 07:53 AM

Hi Llittlejane - I am thinking of doing the 8-day minibus tour at the end of February from guidetoiceland.is. I will be a solo traveler so a tour is probably the way to go. The tour company says they have alternate plans if there is inclement weather. Let us know what you decide as I am interested to know. Thanks.