Iceland itinerary help

Dec 11th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Iceland itinerary help

Hello Fodorites,
My 2 gfs and I are planning a trip to Iceland from Feb 27 to March 6th. I am unsure between renting a car vs using bus or day tour to get around, as winter driving can be tricky. I wonder if you can give us some itinerary suggestion, as well as where to base ourselves to get the most out of the days we have. I understand that we cannot cover the island as winter travel can be difficult. We would love go experience the northern light, ice cave, waterfall and hotspring. Thx so much for your help!
Dec 11th, 2015, 05:30 PM

topping
Dec 14th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Hello,

Although you may find tough road conditions in february-march, take into account that the car rental agency will provide you with winter tires (Studded tires). Bearing that in mind, renting a car is a better option for such a large country.

About the type, I believe that a AWD or 4WD sedans are the best choice. It depends on the experience you may have.If you have little on no experience in driving in Extreme conditions, like gail winds and icy roads, the Sedans are the best ones, and AWD are best
Dec 30th, 2015, 12:14 PM

My daughter and I going Feb 27-March 3 and I decided not to rent a car because of the weather and the cost. I would much prefer an expert to drive me around although I'm generally not a big tour person.

I have booked a two tours that you might be interested in. We are doing the Golden Circle Tour (Feb 29) and the South Shore Tour (March 2). They pick up and drop-off at Reykjavik hotels. The tour has a minimum of 6 people and I think we are the only ones booked right now.

Hope this helps.

www.icelandhorizon.is
Dec 30th, 2015, 12:36 PM

We enjoyed our minibus Golden Circle Tour with Iceland Horizon. The weather was horrible, but the guide was great. In Reykjavik we especially enjoyed the National Museum of Iceland. http://www.thjodminjasafn.is/english
Jan 1st, 2016, 10:42 AM

I stayed in Reykjavik and took day trips. One with Iceland Horizon and two with Reykjavik Excursions. I had great guides with both.. I also spent a couple days visiting museums, etc. in Reykjavik...