Search

Iceland in less than a week

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland in less than a week

Hello
We are planning to travel to Iceland in June and will have 5.5 days there (excluding travel time getting to and from). Was looking for input on whether it would be practical to do the entire golden circle, covering north Iceland or if we should just stick to south Iceland. Any ideas on recommended places to see/not miss, especially those that are not typical on every tourists itinerary would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

meant to say entire ring road not golden circle
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There is enough to see and do in Reykjavik and the Golden Circle for the time you are in Iceland. The Golden Circle is like a highlight tour of Iceland. We did a tour to the glaciers and went snowmobiling. We also rented a car and drove around seeing waterfalls, took a dog sled ride, etc.. The city is very cute and you could easily spend a full day seeing everything in the city. So I would not drive the entire loop. Stay in Reykjavik, rent a car and explore the Golden Circle. I think you can drive it in about 3-4 hours? but you could do half one day stopping and seeing things and half the other day. Or take tours from the city, they pick you up. It isn't cheap but neither are the car rentals and we could never have gotten to the glaciers without a tour. We did both. We drove on our own and did specific tours as well. We were there a week and never ventured all the way around the island. We went north, south and the Golden Circle area.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 06:16 AM

In such a short period of time, the best options are the one mentioned above:

Golden Circle (1 Day) Reykjavik itself (1 day or two) and I would add, if possible, Vík and Jokursarlon. This route can be done in 5 days for sure. Forget about North Iceland...I would totally stick to the south.

This route might be of help: What to See in Iceland in 5 days - The best of South Iceland