Search

iceland help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iceland help

I'm a 32 female going to Iceland alone the last week of August. I really do not want to rent a car due to expenses and a fear of being on rugged roads alone (feel free to convince me otherwise). My intents for this trip are:
1. 2 days in Reykjahvik at the end of the trip.
2. See puffins - it seems like Westmen Islands are best - I think I'll immediately fly there upon arrival.
3. See a range of terrain - I've already seen (and climbed) glaciers, so that is not as important to me. Lava and waterfalls and cliffs would interest me.
4. I will likely hostel and low-budget it.
5. Swimming at least once in these wonderful thermal pools that I keep reading about.

Ok, I have seven days. What do you recommmend?

Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:08 PM
jor

You will find the best travel answers for budget travel on lonelyplanet.com. Go to the thorntree message board.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:42 AM

I would have a look into accommodation now to get an idea of prices. I'm sure your low-budget options will be limited. Iceland is probably the most expensive place I have been to (and I live in London so am not used to things being particularly cheap).

You are planning several nights outside Reykjavik - have you found places within your budget?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Check out the Vacations section of the IcelandAir website.

When I was there, we stayed in a hotel owned by the airline, and they advertised lots of tours sponsored by them. They sounded like good options. I usually avoid tour groups like the plague, but these were in off-road vehicles, so were probably small groups.

They also have day trips by bus to the Blue Lagoon.

Besides the expense, Iceland was really easy to navigate, and it seems that IcelandAir runs all of the tourism.

This is also the place to eat fish. I had something called cod cheeks that were the most succulent little morsels I've ever tasted.

Have a great trip.