I Want My Students to Love Paris!

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Want My Students to Love Paris!

I have taken several European trips with students at my university, and for some strange reason, most seem not to enjoy Paris. We have done walking tours, shopping expeditions, the boat ride on the Seine, the Eiffel Tower, etc., yet most still say they enjoyed the other European cities, but not Paris.

It bothers me that I am unable to communicate my love for this city to them. They insist they want to do the standard tourist stuff, but I am beginning to think perhaps that is part of the problem. So, I would like to plan the perfect day in Paris for 19-22 year olds. Any ideas?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:29 PM

Take them to the Catacombs and the Sewers
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:32 PM

I would start by finding out what it is they preferred in the other European cities.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:27 PM

I think they would like wandering around the Marais and then going into the Lea Halles mall where all the local teenagers are. They could see a movie there as well.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:30 PM
LJ

I, too, have taken herded students of that age in Europe and experienced this attitude: they don't "get" Paris. I can recall visiting myself at a callow 21 and not being very taken with the charms...returned at 41 andwas blown away and remain "bouliverse" as the French would say...maybe it is an age thing?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:23 PM

So I'll amplify my answer. We took our teenage daughters (a bit younger than your students, but sophisticated for their age and experienced travelers) to London and Paris in April of last year. The bulk of our time (5 days) was spent in Paris. Once home, they said they much preferred London. I asked why, and here's what they answered: London was green and full of flowers (they were comparing London's lovely parks to the Tuileries and Champ de Mars); they loved the British accents and humor, but found Parisiens abrupt; although both have studied French no one in Paris had the patience to let them use it; they felt intimidated by the French "rules" (say "Bonjour, Madame" when you enter a shop, don't touch things in the shops, etc.); they much preferred the food in London (we go to Wagamamma for Asian food and Masala Zone for South Asian); they thought London was cleaner, and were put off by seeing drunks and street people in Paris; they preferred London black cabs (and the cabbies) to the French taxis and drivers.

They did, however, love Versailles; that was the highlight of the whole trip.

On the other hand, our sons, who are older, both visited Paris in their college days, and both love the city. They went on their own---could that be the difference?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:30 PM

Perhaps the answer is to contact a group of similar age Parisian students who are studying English and put the 2 groups together. Could language be the simple answer? And btw, maybe doing the typical tourist things is what they think they're supposed to say? Is this trip part of any grade? Do they need to impress you?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM

A lot has to do with who you go with, and where you stay, dining experiences, and attitude and how well prepared they are for the experience.

If you are staying in dorms or hostels with your students, they are not going to be as enamoured with it as my daughter was when we took her to stay in a cute little French hotel near Rue Cler. Her friend just wanted to shop and when we went to the Louvre, she stared at the walls while my daughter fell in love with the art. But then we had taken her to museums and looked at art books before we went.

The friend wanted to eat hamburgers and wasn't adventureous whereas my daughter loved cassoulet and trying new foods.

Some months later, the friend told my daughter what an experience it had been and she wished she had paid more attention. Part of the problem was that she was a teenager.

When we lived in Japan (Dad was in the AF), many of my friends hated Japan and couldn't wait to go back to the states and never left the base. I, on the other hand, had a great experience because my parents were open minded, took us to experience Japanese culture - made Japanese friends, stayed in Japanese hotels, and ate Japanese food.

Perhaps you need to prepare them more by learning about Paris before you leave.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:17 PM

I can't imagine being in Paris for the first time as a college student and not loving it. I first went there at 19 and adored it - but perhaps part of it was that I was in love with being in love (was traveling with my boyfriend).

Naturally we had planned the trip ouselves. Perhaps your group needs to do some of that. And can't see how the language can be a problem - I was operating on only 2 years of French - and did fine - and I can't imagine fewer French people speak English since then.

Perhaps part of the problem is that these are not city kids - which I was - and they expect everyone to be friendly and helpful to them - instead of pre-occupied with their own business.

Also - if they don;t like the food perhaps some info up front on what to expect - and order will be helpful - although every cafe can do steak frites - or chicken and the same - with a nice half bottle of wine.

Also - do you have any free nights - certainly they should enjoy clubbing there as much as in London - and hanging out at Les Halles should help them find the places the college students are going.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:31 PM

I went to Paris twice, at age 21 and 22 (I'm 28 now). I hated Paris because:

- the streets were dirty
- there were street pickpocketers on the metro (more in Paris than other cities I've been in)
- the people working in department stores seemed rude and didn't want to help me
- people stared at me in restaurants (I'm thinking it's because I'm Asian and they know I'm not European)
- I didn't know any French
- there was too much to see in too little time

And yes, I too, liked Versailles a lot more than Paris.

But that doesn't mean I don't like France. I just haven't had any good experiences travelling in Paris.

I also went to Nice and I LOVED it there!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:48 PM

I also think that the reason some students don't like Paris is because it's too "touristy." Also, it may be because the students grew up in big cities and they're already used to the "urban bright-lights big-city see everything and do it all overkill"...

whereas smaller European towns, or cities with a unique flavor (Arles known for van Gough, or Aix known for Cezanne), or Versailles, attract many students because it's very distinctly different from American cities.

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:58 PM

I hate to say it, but what would make them love Paris is the companionship of a 19-22 year old of the opposite sex! Paris is about the BEST place to be in love.

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:05 PM

Hmmm. What an interesting dilemma.

I might try an itinerary that includes Montmartre and St. Denis, and the Rodin museum instead of the Louvre. For both places, I would familiarize them with the lives and works of artists who lived there (Van Gogh, Picasso, Rodin).

I would do a late night dinner at Le Dome or La Coupole, maybe going to yet another late night place for dessert. I would definitely hang out around the Sorbonne a bit, although I'm not sure I'd deliberately hook them up with French students.

The cemetary in Montparnasse? A day trip to Versailles sounds good. A picnic on the banks of the Seine made with foods purchased at epiceries and patisseries, along with some wines?

Whether they like it or not, I have to say I don't think they should leave Paris without seeing Ste Chappelle!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your insight. I have asked them what is "wrong" with Paris, and the replies are usually something like, "It's intimidating," "It's too dirty," and "It's overwhelming--just over the top." For this trip I thought I might arrange an afternoon that might show a more charming, more intimate side of the city. Your suggestions are welcome.

By the way, as for the advantages of seeing the city on their own, I take the approach that they are all adults and that they may spend their time in whatever manner they choose. They are not required to stay with me at all. Oddly, most stay close--even when I would prefer some alone time!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:36 PM

OK, maybe I am getting too far afield with this, but I'll offer it anyway. Is there a chance that these kids are demonstrating what has become all too typical - what I call the "USA Today mentality"? By that I mean everything needs to be boiled down to a sound bite for immediate absorption with minimal processing. Perhaps appreciating much of what Paris has to offer requires a degree of insight and knowledge that would come from (gasp) a bit of prior research, and that's just not part of their folio. Please note that I am not bashing youngsters, they are not the only ones who fall into this category. If this is part of the issue, perhaps you could offer a "prep pack", someting like the DK Eyewitness Guides (sorry Fodors!) that outlines highlights of a place's history over time, with a little more detail for some notable things. Even better, assign specific topics to small groups and have them assemble and exchange with each other their own "background briefing" materials. Yeah, it sounds corny and a lot like school work (which we know is increasingly out of fashion - let me just go online and google the answers or buy a term paper) but it's a thought.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:46 PM

Do a couple of my revised walks.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:36 PM

Sad to say, but I have an 18 year old and he's been to Europe, and although he enjoyed the sightseeing, what he wanted to do was go to bars at night since he can get in at 18 and meet girls. He's interested in the nightlife, not the cathedrals etc. Hopefully, someday he'll appreciate it more. He had a good time but would have enjoyed it more if he had friends his own age with him. I think it's the age.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:44 PM

Maybe you should let it go. You've shared your love of the city, but if some don't feel the same way, that's entirely valid. If some of those people eventually change their minds about Paris or some aspect of it, well that's their own development.

You can't make other people share your point of view. You planted the seed, which is enough.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:46 PM

Paris is a large city, and dirty in parts, so it might be interesting as to what other cities they do like in Europe (of that size) and not Paris. Maybe they just don't like large cities that much, that can be too much for kids who aren't used to traveling and want something comfortable and easy.

But, really, why do you have to insist they love something just because you do? They are entitled to their opinions just as much as you are. There are several major cities in Europe which I have not loved, but others certainly do (like Vienna and Amsterdam) and like religion, I don't think anyone has the right to insist someone else feel the same way they do about something. If this isn't a French class in particular, and they have no knowledge of French, it doesn't surprise me that they might prefer cities that are easier for them, or what kids perceive as more "fun". I don't love London, either, although I enjoy it for a bit and like the theater, but it is also a very large city that is just like another big city to me, to some extent.

I think you should analyze what they like about other cities, which Paris doesn't have or they didn't experience, and that might be helpful.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi UNC,

Maybe it's you?

Am I correct the students are at UNC?

If this is their first visit to Europe, they might just not be prepared for a large, very different city.

>..an afternoon that might show a more charming, more intimate side of the city.<

The Jardin des Plantes and the Arnes de Lutece(1st C Roman ampitheater).
A walk along the St. Martin Canal.
The Place des Vosges.
The Ile St. Louis (Gelato at Amorino)
The Pont des Arts and a walk along the Seine at night.
The Rodin Museum
The Marmottan Museum
Brunch at the Musee Jacquemart-Andre
The Parc Monceau
A tour of Montmartre on the Montmartrobus from Place Pigalle.

See Ira's Mother's Trip to Paris
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34497442

A week without a single museum.

See Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...mp;tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34712768

Jacquemart-Andre’ Museum http://tinyurl.com/p9pol

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -