Search

I think I need a weekend in Cornwall!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I need a weekend in Cornwall!

Hello all:

I am sitting here watching the Hairy Bikers in Cornwall, and am salivating for the food. I need to plan a long weekend sometime this summer. I have found some great trip reports – many thanks!

Can you get me started please on my planning?

First question: where should I base myself? I’d like a scenic town that has excellent restaurants, as I think I will base the visit around FOOD. Also, I won’t drive, as I haven’t driven since moving to London over three years ago, and would frankly be dangerous at this point, so somewhere that has lovely walks, or historic sites/homes that I can get to by taxi. I’d definitely prefer to be on the sea and smell that salty air.

Secondly: A gorgeous place to stay. I’ll probably be willing to splash out a bit, but recognize that weekend rates in Cornwall in the summer are probably astronomical. Could I get a gorgeous hotel /B&B for under £200 per night, or am I dreaming and should I up the budget? Are there any hotels you would recommend that have really good restaurants, or are at least within staggering distance from good restaurants, after I have consumed a whole bottle of wine at dinner?

Transportation: From London, how good is the train network? When there, I understand from reading the trip reports that public transportation is limited. Is there a good taxi network if I decide to travel to other towns?

Annhig and Janisj, you know I am I a looking for your input

I know I could get slammed for not doing my homework before posting, so forgive me in advance.

Bet regards ... Ger
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM

Falmouth is a great place to get to and base yourself without a car. Go by train, and once there the combination of train, buses and ferries give you access to so many river cruises, walks, beaches, castles and gardens.

Rick Stein has a restaurant there, although I thought the traditional Harbour Lights chippy was better for both food and value. There was a brilliant steak place in Events Square, can't remember the name, just the walls covered in cow hides.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 10:58 PM

ttt
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM

Me too, I'm already yearning to go somewhere other than where I am. Always.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Loads of good restaurants and cafes in the Falmouth/Mylor/Flushing areas e.g. Gylly Beach Cafe, Waterside Cafe, Castaways, Pandora Inn, and Ricks Stein has several places including a take-away.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM

I know North Cornwall best, and it's beautiful there. You could fly to Newquay. St. Ives is nice, and so is Padstow. With yet another Rick Stein restaurant