I think I have a plan!?!?!?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who know my story I think I may have a plan. (for those of you who dont here it is: 39 female midlife crisis backpacking alone across Europe in December in about 2 weeks)

Land in Amsterdam spend a day or two hanging then off to Cologne, Munich, Vienna, Salzbur, Geneva, Paris then back to Amsterdam. Or maybe not. I think I may make it a point to visit all the Christmas markets along the way
Being a virgo I made a spread sheet with all the train schedules and stations. I also made a spread sheet with B&B's and Hostels.

Also I was in the market for a backpack so I started bidding on a couple on ebay (I have never done this before). yes that is correct i said a couple, and guess what? I won both so now I own two backpacks. So i hope I enjoy this backpacking stuff. Now I am in need of a very warm parka. Any ideas???
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Not sure how much time you have, so I can't tell if your plan is overly ambitious or not.

Have you considered what you want to see? I'm an Aries and made planty of spreadsheets, including one with cities sorted with sights to see, sorted by neighborhood, with details about addresses, hours, details of what to see and costs.

Now, when you get those backpacks, pack them both individually with all the stuff you want to take, bus yourself downtown in your city and walk around for a few hours. Take the one that doesn't chafe at you too much. I always was a fan of suitcases with rollers, no matter how small. My 38-year-old back can't take a pack for that long. "Backpacking" across Europe doesn't have to be a literal thing...you might find that pulling a small carry-on around with you is much more convenient and comfy.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Good luck

Too many places in too little time. You will be spending far too much time in transit, checking in and out of hotels, going back and forth between train/bus stations, and learning how to get around each city. Add that to the short days and...... .

I'd go with one backpack and one small carry-on with wheels.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:14 AM

I see the logic, if you look at a railway map. But for my tastes, if you're only allowing two weeks, three or four places is more than enough. Otherwise you risk a midlife crisis within a midlife crisis, and you could come home exhausted and really grumpy.

It's all a matter of taste, but I'd suggest you have a clear distinction in your mind between 'destinations' (places where you really should allow yourself time to justify unpacking!) and places where you'll just be stopping off en route, if you really can't face going straight through to the next destination. I know which would be my choices, but that's up to you. You might have to sacrifice one of the 'destinations' to make sure of enough time in another: and take some time to work out how you can make sure to get enough time and money to come back in the future!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:18 AM
ira

Hi lost,

Well, you have solved your midlife crisis.

8 destinations in 2 weeks will ensure that, if you survive, you will not be in crisis any more - just exhausted.

Keep in mind that you lose about 1/2 day each time you move.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:19 AM

..Please take the above advice. Stay only 3 or 4 places (preferably 3..unless your 2 weeks is more like 2 1/2 because of weekends. You can still do daytrips. As others have said, "move days" really take a chunk out of your sightseeing time. More importanly, having a base gives you more time to find your own little resto or cafe, might allow you to learn a few tips about the neighborhood from the desk clerk ect. Please slow down and actually see more.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:36 AM

Hi, Lost. Please allow this 60 yr old to reassure you that life doesn't come to a screeching halt at 40. Enoy your travels with the understanding that that's plenty more fun to be had.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Hi

For a warm parka have you thought about Goretex. See www.gore-tex.com. Then go to E Bay and bid!

Good luck in your travels.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:46 AM

Have you got your tickets yet? (if not, best get going). How many nights do you have? As someone who moves around alot more than most people (on this board anyway) even I would not do all you are suggesting. However, I think you can do most of it. You won't get to really "know" a place, and you won't have time for much, if any, in the way of day trips outside of the cities or to neighboring towns, etc. And those are very valuable parts of the travel experience. But they are not the only part of it, and if you want to see several cities for a short time I think you can still have a very nice trip.

I would do three nights in Amsterdam - get over jet lag, get used to being in Europe, and you need that much to see much of Amsterdam anyway. Then train to Cologne. I haven't been there but it seems like a one night stay there would at least allow you to see the catheddral and main sights. Then Munich for three nights - more to see there and after a one nighter in Cologne, three nights will allow you to rest a bit. I would skip Vienna, it's geographally further and you do need to drop at least one location (IMO). So Salzburg next for one night. Again, you will have just had a three night stay, and Salzburg is very small and can be seen in a day (at least a taste of it). Then Switzerland. Why Geneva? Consider Bern instead which is a UNESCO world heritage site, and a very charming town. You could do three days there, with a day trip up to the mountains south of Interlaken. Then finish with Paris - preferably for at least 4 nights. That would be 15 nights total, only two of them would be one nighters and you'd get to all but one of your destinations.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:02 AM

did you travel from vienna to salzburg by train? Could you please provide me with some information on that trip, I need to get from Vienna to Salzburg cheap. thanks