I need school project help!

Jan 11th, 2002, 03:28 PM
agirl

I need school project help!

Hey everyone! I am doing a project for a consumerism class where I am traveling to France, alone, from April 2-17. I have a round trip flight planned in and out of Paris, and I need to use the train system. I am on a budget of $3000. My plan for the trip is to spend a few days in Paris, and work my way down and through the South of France. We need all kinds of cultural and sporting events, as well as where we'll stay and eat and anything else you could imagine. If you've ever been to France and have any suggestions, please tell me! THANKS!

Jan 11th, 2002, 03:32 PM
MaryC

The Paris marathon will be on that week, so use that as part of your sporting events. I'm not sure when the date is but if you scroll thru the 1st 200 threads or if you do a search on Paris Marathon, you should be able to find the info there.

Jan 11th, 2002, 03:33 PM
MaryC

Actually, I meant your 1st week. Let me pull up that thread for you, I just found it.

Jan 11th, 2002, 03:52 PM
deborahw

What about a day trip from Paris to Giverney (not sure of the spelling) to visit the home where Monet lived and the garden he painted? Traveling outside Paris I would go to the Dordogne region to see the cave paintings -- lots of fairly cheap bed and breakfasts there. Also, Mont St. Michelle is amazing. The beaches at Normandy are impressive. In Paris, I would go to the Orsay Museum, ride on a bateux mouche (a tour boat) for a sunset cruise down the Seine, save some time and money by climbing to the second floor of the Eiffel Tower, walk down the Champs to the Place de la Concorde and ride in the ferris wheel there, rent a toy sailboat to sail in a fountain in Tuilleries Garden, and take the tour to the top of Notre Dame to see the bells.

Jan 11th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Betty

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.francetourism.com/

Also www.francekeys.com and for train travel www.voyages-sncf.com

Good luck with your project. Sounds fun!

Jan 11th, 2002, 04:22 PM
wasagirl

Just curious -- what is the point of this project and how does it differ from a vacation?

Jan 11th, 2002, 04:50 PM
agirl

To answer your question: the point of the project is to go on vacation. We can go anywhere in the world, and there were different rates assigned for if you were traveling by yourself, with one companion, or as a family of four, and if you were in or out of the continental US. Most of my friends are just going to tourist spots in the US, but my parents love Paris and they've never taken me so I thought it would be cool. If i have to summarize, I think the point is to realize how much a vacation costs. I think my trip is going to be wonderful...it's a shame it's all just pretend.

Jan 11th, 2002, 04:59 PM
wasagirl

Bummer -- I didn't realize you didn't actually get to go, but only to plan! Well, at least treat yourself to some good French food to get in the mood.

Jan 11th, 2002, 10:14 PM
MaryC

Croissants from the grocery store bakery, anyone? : ) ~MaryC

Jan 11th, 2002, 10:43 PM
l

go to exite.com for a good rate to Paris thru British aways now

Jan 14th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Vincent

I would be more than happy to help but I need you to fill me in on this strange jargon: "consumerism class". What is it ? Is it a study on how to spend thousands of euros in the Printemps, or on three star restaurants ? No, seriously, as soon as you explain the concept to me, I'll try to help you out...

Jan 14th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Anonyimouse

Sounds like the point of this is to not exceed a budget $3000 in 2 weeks and how to get the most out of $3000. Actually, it sounds like fun, not an exercise in futility.

Jan 14th, 2002, 07:00 AM
C

You can always use this assignment when you are moregrownup and go to France for real!
It was never a school assignment for me but I used to read about London and Paris and make up trips in my head, and then when I really got to do it, I already knew so many of the things I would do~While you are in Paris,maybe you would like to go to the Opera/Ballet? that would be at www.opera-de-paris.fr
Have fun~C