Reload this Page >

Need help w/ Amsterdam trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 06:45 AM
cindy

I posted under a reply to an A'dam question, but I wanted some ideas. My husband has a business trip in Amsterdam in May. I am flying out to meet him. I have never been to Europe before. He has only been to A'dam and no where else. We will have 5 days/4 nights. Should we go to Germany or France? Is there an easy train ride or do you rent a car? Please share any ideas. Thanks, Cindy

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Sjoerd

If it is only 5 days/4 nights I wouldn't go all the way to France or Germany. There is lots to do and see in Amsterdam for 3 or 4 days (do a Amsterdam Top 10 search). Also, if the trip is in early to mid-May you can go to Keukenhof to see the tulips and other flowers. <BR>Other cities in the Netherlands worth visiting are Delft, Leiden, Utrecht, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Hoorn, Enkhuizen, which are all an easy less-than-one-hour train trip from Amsterdam.<BR>Have a nice trip!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 11:42 AM
AC

Hi:<BR>I love Amsterdam! You'll find plenty to do and see in 5 days! You can also get to Antwerpen, Brugges or Brussels Belguim. A short train ride away. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Annette

You could have a wonderful trip just staying in Amsterdam. I spent 6 wonderful days in Amsterdam awhile ago, taking 1 day trip (to Delft and Rotterdam). The canals are beautiful, the museums facinating, and the shopping is good. For ideas, you could go to http://www.goholland.com/<BR>http://www2.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/<BR>http://www.channels.nl/<BR><BR>Or if your husband has been to A'dam and would rather go someplace different, with your 5 days you could explore Belgium instead. <BR><BR>Be sure to go over to www.virtualtourist.com and look at some of the great traveloges on Holland and Belgium. Don't miss Fodor poster Myriam's super Netherlands and Belgium pages accessed at http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.125633/1?s=X . <BR><BR>Whatever you decide, have a good trip!<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Nancy

Hi,<BR>Driving in the Netherlands is very much like back here, except you must watch for the bicycle lanes. I have drived all through Netherlands, France, Germany,Belgium and Czech Republic. All in all I think they are very driver friendly countries. Just pick up a good map at any gas station. Edam is quite a lovely town to spend a day or two in, and of course there is a lot to do and see in A'dam.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 03:02 AM
tracy

Cindy -<BR><BR>The Dutch trains are great, there's no need to rent a car. And you'll have no problems filling up at least 4 days in A'dam!<BR><BR>If you need a change from the big city, besides all the other recommendations you've received, take a daytrip to Utrecht - it's a cool university town with amazing architecture and history.<BR><BR>Eat lots of cheese for me!<BR>T

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 04:23 AM
alice

I was in Amsterdam last December for 3 days and I could have stayed longer. I loved it. Anne Frank's house is there and many musuems..it was awesome. I would stay right there. My daughter nd I did everything by public transportation as we had arrived by overnight train from Milan... Enjoy it!!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Jen

I think that Anne Frank's House is not to be missed while in Amsterdam. I was there about five years ago and it made such an impact on me. I still remember it like it was yesterday.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!