Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodorite get-together in London; Jan 18-26?

Dec 31st, 2001, 02:03 PM
mike

Why not. Which day works - we'll go with the majority vote (of course). And where? Brown's for tea? I'll check back and see if we can't get something going. Welcome one and all. M.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
lea

What luck! I'll be there that week. . .Wednesday or Thursday would be best for me at teatime. Thank you

Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:20 PM
kavey

I don't think I am around over the weekend, but would be interested in something on a weeknight if it were after work... but not too late!

Please let me know via email if you decide to go ahead and I would love to meet more Fodorites, I have met a number over the years and really enjoyed the experience.

Kavey

Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
mike

Lea, will try for Wed. or Thurs. Kavey - Brown's serves till 5:45pm. Would you be able to make it? M.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:26 PM
Kavey

Not by 5.45 no...
Probably by 6 or 6.15...

You are meaning afternoon tea then?

Probably not on a weekday...

If it becomes an early dinner let me know... I'd be up for a pre theatre dinner menu deal somewhere...

Thanks!
Kavey

Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:06 PM
Mrs. Hyacenth Bucket

Splendid Dear! I shall bring my holiday brochures as we take tea at Brown's. Not that Brown's is the proper atmosphere for people of our social status. The waiters--they have shirt tails showing, you know. I will not have shirt-tailed waitstaff standing around as I take tea! But I do think that London quite needs the polish and sophistication that diners such as ourselves bring, don't you?

Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:12 PM
Onslow

Oh, nice. If you lot 'aven't learned your lesson by inviting our Hyacenth to supper again... let's just say you deserve every bit of it.

Jan 4th, 2002, 10:44 AM
mike

Well, OK. I said one and all. Anyone else? M.

Jan 7th, 2002, 04:56 PM
mike

To the top. M.

Jan 8th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Carrie

I don't do teas but like to meet up. Can't only do weekends, how about a drink somewhere in the West End?

Jan 8th, 2002, 08:13 AM
mike

How about Thursday, Jan. 24th, early eve. (6:30?) for a drink and/or light meal at an establishment within a block or two of one of the following tube stops: Gloucester Rd., S. Kensington, Knightsbridge, Hyde Park, or Green Park. Any London hands that can suggest an establishment?

Jan 8th, 2002, 02:05 PM
kavey

Date and time sound fine...
Would prefer something more central personally, such as Soho, Picadilly Circus, Leicester Sq, Covent Garden...

Any other thoughts?

Jan 8th, 2002, 04:08 PM
mike

OK with me Kavey. Would you like to suggest a place to meet? Let's keep it on the Picadilly line. Are Lea and Carrie out there? Anyone else? M.

Jan 9th, 2002, 04:47 AM
kavey

Depends what people are looking for...

If we are looking for cheap and reasonable food, somewhere like Brown's (restaurant not hotel) on St Martin's Lane, by Leicester Square tube station, does a pre theatre dinner menu which is only £10 for 2 courses and has a lot of choice for a pre theatre menu.

If we want something a little more refined, I would say somewhere like Circus, in Picadilly/ Soho (about 2 mins walk from Picadilly Circus tube) which does a pre theatre menu for 10.50 for 2 courses or 12.50 for three, the drinks are where they make their money.

Or we could meet somewhere like a restaurant in China town, I have eaten well and inexpensively at Harbour City (or something similar, I cant recall exactly) just to name one...

How many of us are there, and what time are people able to meet...?

Kavey

Jan 9th, 2002, 06:50 PM
mike

Topping this for anyone else that may be interested in joining us. Will top every day or two until I leave for London next week.
Kavey, it all sounds great. I like Italian and Chinese. Or Pub food, or...
M.

Jan 11th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Mike

Topping to see if Beth (or any other "Fodors folks") would like to join us on Thurs., Jan. 24 at 6:30pm. Kavey, why don't you choose a restaurant where we can meet (any of your above suggestions sound fine), provide some basic directions, and we'll go with it. Thanks, M.

Jan 14th, 2002, 08:00 AM
mike

Well, planning a "get together" in London during Jan. is like planning a marathon in Phoenix during July - WHAT!
Let's go with the following scaled down version - "if anyone would like to have dinner or a drink with a Yank the week of Jan. 19-26, I'm open."
Looking forward to the cold and rain in Europe's greatest city, M.