Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have a (maybe stupid) question about seating assignments on United...

Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Paris in February for the first time. We're flying United, and we booked online. During the booking process, we were allowed to choose our seats on the seat map for all but one segment. This is the segment from San Francisco to Paris. It said that the seating map was unavailable. We were able to choose our seats from Paris back to San Francisco.

My husband called United afterwards and the representative told him to call later. He called today and they told him that the seating map would only become available the day before the flight.

My question is, if you're still reading, is this normal? What would be a reason for this? Yes, I know, my husband probably should have asked. I'm just curious. Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:18 PM

When this happens, the flight is probably almost sold out and further seats assignments will not be issued until you check in. I'd advise you to check in extra early.

Good luck,
Sandy
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Probably because they don't yet know what equipment will be used on that flight that day. Usually some percentage (20%? 40%?) of all seats are left for assignment by the counter people on the day of flight, so all is not lost. However, be persistent - check back all the time, and use their website seat selector whenever you can - it only takes a few minutes and the seatmap for your flight might turn up sooner than they said.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:22 PM

possible reasons? ...

-plane not yet assigned for the flight

-disorganization

-security feature

-waiting for a tip

-alerted by British police you have
suspicious looking shoes

-horrible airlines

-"Reasons! We don't need no stinking reasons"
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We thought this might be the reason why. Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:37 PM

cristiana:

I fly United to Paris from the East Coast with some frequency. The last half-dozen times I've gone, I've gotten to the airport only to find that my previously chosen seat assignments were no longer valid, and the flight was overbooked.

Get to the airport really early, dress nicely, be polite, and you may get upgraded instead of bumped - happened to me twice last year.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:15 PM
lyb

Even though you picked your seat on line, make sure to confirm it with a United rep before you get to the airport. I once picked my seats on line with United and when I got to the airport, the seat that I had reserved was not available.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:29 PM

This post is disgusting. Didn't anyone ever tell you it's not polite to pick your seat!!!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 01:22 AM

Earl30, thanks for the laugh - it's a great way to start the day - especially one with a forecast of a foot of snow in my area!

Cristiana, that has happened to us a few times and the explanation we got was that the plane was not yet assigned. There coud be a number of other reasons as has been mentioned here.

St. Cirq's advice is good - go early, be polite and I will add be calm. This has worked for us also.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 01:58 AM
JonJon

Being "calm" as we all know isn't always easy, particularly when you ask "Why?" your seat assignment was changed (when you've already gotten one) and the only response you get is, "We have no idea?" Of course, this is much better than hearing the same response from the crew members as the aircraft is (too) rapidly descending miles from land and since any seat beats walking or swimming I'll continuie to bite my tongue and count my blessings!

Old Dec 5th, 2003, 02:48 AM

I don't think Cristiana's seat assignments were changed - they just can't get assigned seats for one leg of their trip.

I agree - it is very difficult to remain calm in certain situations. However, hard as it may be, it does work at times. We showed up for our flight to Florida just after a huge snowstorm last year. We heard all flights had been cancelled and airport was shut down. We got in the line and overheard many heated arguments with people insisting they get on the next flight. Many left the line unhappy and complaining in loud voices. Our turn came up and instead of being insistent, we commented on what a difficult time this must be for the agent. We said whatever she could do for us would be fine. We were placed on the first flight out which was only 3 hours away and upgraded to first class!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 05:46 AM
ira

>My husband and I are going to Paris in February for the first time. We're flying United, ....<

My, how times have changed. I recall a newlywed couple who wanted to fly United on their honeymoon, but the stewardess wouldn't let them.