Considering Moving to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to thank each of you, that replied to my previous message, regarding possibly moving to Spain or England. Your replies were super and very informative. I'm exploring many possibilities right now, regarding moving to Europe, and this site is truly one of the many excellent info. resources.

For those who live or have lived in Italy, please share your thoughts. I'm an African American female. Will that be a problem? Are there better cities over others to consider? I appreciate any input you can share.

Thank you enormously in advance .
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 08:19 AM
ira

Hi Shesack,

Try www.slowtalk.com. You will find people who have done it.

Keep in mind that getting a long-term visa and a work permit is not easy.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Shesack, being an AfricanAmerican female is not the problem in Italy, considering that there are many black Africans, mostly from Ethiopia and Erithrea living there.
Another thing to consider is the language .Are you fluent in the Italian language? Also,unless you work for an American Agency, firm or Government ,is not very easy to find a good job in Italy. There are too many Young people with an excellent education waiting for a good position.
Anyway, Good Luck to you and I hope that Your Dreams will come true.
Ciao,
kismet
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 12:03 PM

I lived in Italy for three years, best years of my life. If you're willing to learn the language, there won't be a problem. Italians, I found, were very friendly, accommodating and interested in all things American. I lived in Lago Patria and Pinetamare which are suburbs of Naples. Pinetamare is an ocean resort area and very crowded during the summer. The only thing you may encounter (since you're asking) is that you may be approached by Italian men for sex. I noticed on a daily basis driving down the Tangziale "Tange" which is a main freeway that dumps into Pinetamare and the like that there were African prostitutes lined up on the side of the road awaiting their "dates". My black girlfriends were military and they didn't comment on being bothered ever. I say this because I know many Italian men thought American women were easy based on viewing the women of "Three's Company" not wearing bras and bouncing around, if you can believe it. This from a country where they have topless game shows at night, oy. They believed what they saw. Can't say outside of that area though. I didn't hear or see any outward prejudice from my Italian friends. Gasoline is very expensive as are phone bills. Most of us didn't have home phones based on the $300 phone hook up fee (back in the early 90's). If you have further questions, just ask.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM

I too, wanted to go live in Europe for a while. The way I ended up doing it was to work as a civilian on a US Army base (in Germany). There are a few bases in Italy. I just searched and searched and sent off emails to anyone and everyone. One company that hires is AAFES.

The downside is that you can almost let yourself be isolated from the European experience that you want, as the Military bases operate just like they are in the USA, even using dollars. Thus, you have to "force" yourself to go out and "be European", although if that is what you are there for, you probably won't have to "force" yourself.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:45 AM

As Ira wrote, head on over to http://www.slowtalk.com and hang around in our Living in Italy/Moving to Italy forum. Also, check on my site about how to do it and more at http://www.cristinasweb.com. I am also the moderator of the SlowTalk forum.

Cristina
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi Cristina,

Small world, isn't it?
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:21 AM

a great site to visit for this would be www.zoomata.com which gives some feedback from expatriates who live in Italy.