Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling alone to London? OK or Not OK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have traveled around by myself on business and pleasure more than usual for a woman of my age (30's) but wonder about going to London to sight-see alone. I heard the crime rate is up there. Is it OK? What would you suggest?
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:29 PM

Hi Froggy,

I say go for it. I went to London last January, and although I was with some people, we sometimes split up and did our own things, and I felt fine. Just be alert and cautious, which I would always advise anyway.

BTW, just so you know, I am going to Spain in February by myself, including 4 days in Barcelona, from what I hear the premier home for pickpocketers...

Karen
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:33 PM

Go for it. Just arm yourself with a map (Streetwise London is my favorite). I was there when I was around 21 by myself. I just make sure to check with people where I am staying the best places to go and where not to wander alone at night. Sometimes its best to have a plan before you set out, then you wont look so lost. Have a blast. London is my favorite city!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:43 PM

London is very safe, easy to navigate, there's no (serious) language barrier, so if you're going some place alone, London is a good bet. That said, I've found business travel alone is NOT the same as leisure travel alone, particularly at night. One of the best things about London alone is going to the theater at night if you're put off by dining solo. Also, doing London Walks walking tours at night is a good idea.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Way OK. I've been to London numerous times on my own and, like the others, would encourage you to make the trip. It's a fabulous city by day or by night. If you are at all uneasy about walking around in the evening, that might be the time to splurge on a taxi.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:14 PM

I am a 50+ woman who traveled alone for a week in London in 2001. I had a wonderful time and felt very safe. I bought a package that included 7 nights in the Hilton hotel in Knightsbridge and several city tours. Once I got an overview of London from the tours, I took the city bus on my own (it's slower than the subway, but you can see so much above ground)and did all the major attractions: St. Paul's, Westminster, British museum, Tower, etc. Most days I started early and finished site-seeing around 7, went back to the hotel to shower and then ate dinner there. It felt safer and I was ready for an early night. I went to the theater twice taking cabs both ways - again very safe. I didn't go out for dinner to special restaurants, but I was more internested in the sites, anyway. I'd go back in a minute.
Have a great time.

I've done it before, and I'm doing it again later this month. I wouldn't think twice. You're used to taking the usual sensible precautions, if you've walked around any large cities. If you're not, London is as good a place to start as any.

Just hang onto your bag, especially in crowded trains or tourist areas, and if you are going to be distracted while finding your way or consulting your map, step out of the crowd for a moment or two into a doorway or cafe so you don't look confused and vulnerable.

ira

Hi froggy,

Even if the crime rate in London is up, it ain't close to New York, Chicago, LA or DC.

Go. Have a great trip. Mind the Gap and be sure to *Look Right* before stepping off the curb.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:19 PM

Hi-I have been to London twice recently and wandered around a bunch on my own-even late at night-grabbed taxis when I needed too and never felt worried.
I am more nervous as the previous poster said back here in the good ole USA-I carry a small purse that has a strap and then it is right under my arm-no problems.
Barcelona in August was the only place that I felt unsafe and did not go out alone at night.
Punch and Judys and the Roadhouse in Covent Gardens is fun as well as O'Neils on the edge of Chinatown (irish pub)-if you like that kind of stuff!
Going out at night tip: Bring a small if at all coat-there is no where to put them and the one night I wore one I regretted it all night..
Have fun..
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:26 PM

London is fine alone. I was there last year for a week. I don't know your budget of course, but there's a great hotel in Knightsbridge, just down the street from Harrods on Beaufort Gardens that caters to women called The Beaufort Gardens, I think?. A friend stayed there and loved it. A bit upscale but close to great shopping, food and the Tube. Though I'm sure the Tube is safe, I feel more comfortable taking a taxi home at night after the theater or a late dinner. Taxis are easy to hail and the drivers seem to be on the look out for the solo woman (in a good way), never complaining about the shortness of a ride. If you do go, don't hesitate to go to the theater. See everything you can afford.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:26 PM

Hi- I went to London myself and had the most wonderful time. I never felt out of place..went to shows and out to dinner alone and enjoyed every minute. I took a bus tour out to the Cotswolds and loved it. I am now returning to London with my daughters and nervous about what they will like and wont like...sometimes it's easier alone!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:19 PM

Hi Froggy,
I agree with hartlyn, you may be happier by yourself. I am also 50+ and had been to London about 4 times over the last 20 years with my family but went by myself Oct 2002 and had a wonderful time just walking through the neighborhoods and seeing some the sights that I had missed before and took in some of the wonderful street markets. Then I went again with one of my best friends in May 2003 and she just didn't have the same love of the city that I have and I was kind of forced to go at her pace. When I left I felt sick that I had spent all of that money and didn't get to do the things I really wanted to do. So....I'm going back by myself in Jan. You just need to study your map, learn the tube(very easy) and act like you know what you're doing. I walked all around town at night and always felt safe. South Kensington/Knightsbridge area would be a good place for you to stay. Lots of small local restaurants and small markets for dinners to take back to your room. Just enjoy every minute and soak up all of that history.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:45 AM

Hi Froggy,

I'm in my mid 20's and spent 6 weeks alone in Europe this past summer. I spent about a week of that in London and felt perfectly safe there alone, even coming out of the theatres later at night. I'm from a mid sized Canadian city and felt safer being alone in London than I would at home, so go figure!

Have a wonderful time, I think you'll find that you enjoy not just the vacation to Europe but the vacation away from absolutely everything (and everyone!) else. I was leary at first about traveling by myself, but now I think it would be my preference...

Kaudrey - I was also in Barcelona and didn't have any problems. Some great advice from a local - if you have to carry a wallet, don't have anything of value in it! Keep a small amount of cash (20 euro) in your pocket and keep the rest safely stashed! (I had a bag that went over the shoulder and across the chest, it zipped at the top and then had a flap that went over top of that...)
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:50 AM
JonJon

Have you left yet? If not, you should have! Enjoy your trip!

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:45 AM

I am in London as I write and am travelling on my own. I am on business but came the day after Thanksgiving so I would have time to enjoy before getting busy on Monday. I have never travelled alone on business or pleasure prior to this but I have really enjoyed the experience so far. We were in London for a week in May but had lots of things on the list which we didn't have time to see or do. I spent Saturday and Sunday trying to Christmas shop (the crowds were impossible!)and also visited Borough Market, the National Gallery and the V&A. I plan to go to the theatre tomorrow night. The tube is a fabulous way to travel during the day though I prefer cabs at night. I definitely feel safe and very much at home and think London is a wonderful place to travel on your own. Go for it!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:10 AM

We just past 5 days in London with 2 kids, 5 and 7. I also went out in the evening a couple of times. Haven't had the slightest of doubts or apprehension on safety problems.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:29 AM

Thanks, Julie. I plan to wear a money belt, and definitely not carry a lot of money or valuables with me.

I'm not really worried. I am so excited about the trip (just about 2 months away), and I know to just be alert and aware of my surroundings.

BTW - I live in DC (picked out by Ira as high crime), and I never feel unsafe here...

Karen
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:01 AM

The one thing I would advise, given the mention of taxis, is to make sure that you use a proper 'black cab'. There are people touring around in ordinary cars claiming to be 'mini-cabs' (i.e., available for pre-booked journeys), but illegally touting for business on the street. But I assume you would know what to say to a complete stranger who offers you a lift in an unmarked car late at night.......
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:05 AM

Just one more vote to GO! I am close to your age (I'm 30) and spent a week alone in London earlier this year. (You can click on my name to find my trip report). Have fun and don't worry!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:39 AM

good advice from Patrick - you'll find a lot of "mini-cab" touts (illegal I might add) hanging around outside bars and clubs late at night. Avoid at all costs (a polite "no thanks" will do, or a more stroppy "get lost," if you're anything like me). Always get black cabs, or ask your restaurant or hotel to order you a registered mini-cab (not black, but legal and safe).

Only crime you may remotely encounter will be pickpockets. Watch your bag carefully on the tube, in shops, bars and any crowded places. But if you live in DC, then you won't find London remotely scary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -