Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I can't figure out how to look up open-jaw flights on the British Airways website

Search

I can't figure out how to look up open-jaw flights on the British Airways website

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is probably a ridiculous question, but I can't figure out how to price open-jaw tickets on ba's website. When I get to the home page, I click on "book one way and multi-city" but I can't figure out where to go from there. I just want to fly into city A and home from city B, with no flight between the two. Would I use "I'm returning to a different airport"? I want to fly out from a different airport, not return to one and I'm getting nowhere when I play around with it. Any advice?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I've tried it before and couldn't figure it out either. They force you to either to RT or only to choose return to a different airport. I wanted to do the same thing you do.

I gave up and just booked it on Travelocity with no problem. Perhaps you can call BA, also, but I like doing things online.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding Christina. I'm just glad it wasn't just me who couldn't figure it out!

I'm trying to sort out flight arrangements for flying into Rome and out of Dubrovnik. BA gives the best rate by far (or at least what I've seen) for flights into Dubrovnik so I was hoping they could give me a good open-jaw rate. Oh well.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:40 PM

It's not possible to book open jaw on BA. I've talked to their customer service as well as online help. It's hard to believe a big airline such as BA doesn't have the online option. Worse is that if you book with a phone rep, they charge $20. I don't think they should charge for the privilege when they don't offer the choice to do open jaw online.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Amen to that, aggiegirl. The phone booking charge should be waived or significantly reduced if you're trying to buy a BA ticket that their web site can't handle.
Earlier this year, there was a problem with BA's online booking service and my bank re the credit card security code. While my bank believed the problem was BA's fault and not theirs, they credited to my CC account the BA phone booking fee.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
BA can handle open-jaw at origin (ie LAX-LHR-JFK) but not open-jaw at destination (eg LAX-LHR//MAN-LAX). BA's crummy website is the stuff of near-legend among frequent flyers. They've promised openjaw functionality (along with coach seat selection, etc.) for some time now, but I believe it's a case of Lucy and the football. Ha, ha, gotcha.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have done this several times with British Air, but I do it over the phone, pay the surcharge and am mailed a paper ticket.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You can do it easily and cheaply (no Orbitz/Expedia/Travelocity skim) by going to AA.com and selecting the "multi-city" option, then clicking the "American, American Eagle and Oneworld" button, then sort by fare. BA will come right up, even if it's on routes that AA also flies. Much better, easier and less aggravating than BA.com. You will need to phone BA.com to get your "PNR" (locator code) once the reservation is made, then you can use the (equally inept) "Manage My Booking" feature-oid on BA.com. Like you can manage much with BA, hah.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the answers to many of my BA questions. In Sept the BA site was "acting up" as usual so I had to phone in for award seats, as they were going like hotcakes. Though it cost the $20 for each round trip ticket I think it was worth it as we were able to reserve the seats we wanted in WT+.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, thanks for the tip! I've tried using the AA website before to price trips to Dubrovnik but it wouldn't find anything because AA doesn't fly to Dubrovnik. I just tried it and clicked on "American, American Eagle and Oneworld" and actually got a better price than I did on the BA site.

Thanks everyone!
Tracy
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:36 AM

My thanks also to Gardyloo for the aa.com tip!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:20 AM

I found another problem with the BA website earlier this year : it wouldn't let me book a one way ticket originating abroad. I booked with bmi instead.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:49 AM

I had a problem with the BA web-site. I wanted to travel from Heathrow to Helsinki and then Riga to Heathrow, they quoted me over £600.00. I went to the Expedia site and managed to book these flights for £142.00.