Hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken this five hour trip? I have information on it, but would appreciate comments from anyone with personal experience. Where is luggage stored, are seats comfortable, food on board, etc. Any info will be appreciated.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask about tickets. I have a site where they can be purchsed online, but wonder if they are less expensive when we get to Vienna, like train fares sometimes are.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 09:08 PM
rex

Excerpted from one of the many threads you can find by searching &quot;hydrofoil AND vienna&quot;<BR><BR>Vienna to Budapest via boat<BR> <BR> <BR>Author: Diana<BR>Date: 01/19/2002, 03:04 pm<BR><BR>Message: Has anyone ever traveled to Budapest via a boat/ferry from Vienna. How do I go about getting specific info. <BR><BR>Author: Rex<BR>Date: 01/20/2002, 03:26 pm<BR><BR>Message: It's called a hydrofoil - - and though I have never taken it - - you can find a fair amount of information about it here. Most impressions are not all that favorable. Slower than necessary, and yet not particularly scenic.<BR><BR>I hope that I am not misquoting the experiences of others inaccurately.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR> <BR>Author: Charlie<BR>Date: 01/20/2002, 05:06 pm<BR><BR>Message: Diana,<BR><BR>I did this trip last September and it was a bit of a disappointment. There was very little scenery worth looking at, the hydrofoil is very small, about the width of a 737 jet, the trip takes about 5.5 hours including a hold up at two locks for over an hour. The following link might give you some more information but, personally I would just take the train.<BR><BR>http://www.ddsg-blue-danube.at/ddsg_eint.htm<BR><BR>I actually visited Prague, Vienna and Budapest over 8 days and the trains were great value and very comfortable (1st class - only &pound;21 between Prague and Vienna)<BR>Hope this helps<BR><BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Friends did it and greatly regretted it. They were stuck inside with absolutely no view the whole time, except going through the locks, where there was still nothing to see. They recommend the train also.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Rex: I did the search and found the threads you note above. I was hoping for someone who had taken the trip fairly recently, but thanks for your reply. It seems most think it's a bad idea, so guess we'll have to decide to either go ahead and do it, or alernately take the less expensive and shorter train trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:14 PM

I have taken the hydrofoil from Budapest to Vienna. The same info that I am giving here should be same as going from Vienna to Budapest. There is a stop at Bratislava. The luggage is stored on top. You set in an enclosed area. The windows have a sun screen on them and not easy to see out. There was not much scenery to see. The highlight was going through the lock before we got to Vienna. That was the only place where we were allowed to leave the enclosed area. They have a small bar onboard where they serve food and drinks, which were kind of expensive. I don't remember anybody using the bar. The seating was comfortable. Smoking is allowed in the enclosed area. I did not see any life support devices aboard. I not not see a small boat onboard or any life preservers. It was less of a hassle than taking a train to Vienna. It was a very comfortable ride. The hydrofoil company will arrange lodging in the destination city if you do not have already. I did use this and was pleased with the Pension that I got through them. You go through customs when you land at Vienna. They had a tourist info center there. They gave me a map and sold me a ticket for the tram and gave me directions on how to catch the tram and where to get off for my Pension.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Denis: Thank you very much for your most helpful info. This is exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for.