Hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a Spring trip starting in Vienna, ending up in Prague. I am planning 7 days in Vienna and thinking of taking the Hydrofoil to Budapest for 4 days then making our way up to Prague for 7 days there.

Has anyone taken the Hydrofoil? Sounded like a fun way to see the Danube and make the trip rather than bus or train. I'm thinking that the train would be our best bet out of Budapest directly to Prague. We don't want to rent a vehicle, but I have seen some posts about hiring a driver and car. Anyone have experience or links for that sort of information?
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM

which month do you plan to go to Budapest/Vienna? I think the hydrofoil only runs during certain months of the year (may be from May onwards..you can check either here or tourism boad website for better infor)..if u plan to start in Vienna, may b u can do Vienna(by hydrofoil)--Budapest(by train)--Bratislava(by train)--Prague
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:48 AM

The hydrofoil runs middle of April - end of October .
The hydrofoil is old, slow, dirty and uncomfortable- trip Vienna - Budapest takes 5 1/2 hours plus- cost 89 euro one way.
Scenery is not really good throughout the trip.
Train is cheaper, faster, more comfortable.

If you look for a Danube trip- try the new twin city liner Vienna - Bratislava

trip in about 75 minutes- comfortable seats on a new boat- city center to city center. About 30 euro depending when you travel.
You can always take the train onward from Bratislava to Budapest

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up on the hydrofoil. I'm now looking up info on Bratslava since it's been mentioned twice. The Twin city liner sounds like the way to go. I'm assuming tickets can be purcased at one of the train stations in Vienna. Our trip is in late May. Any other suggestions on day trips out of Vienna or Prague since we will have a week in each location?

I've been reading all the posts and have already found lots of valuable information. Thanks to all of you who share your experiences!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM

The twin city liner leaves from a berth at Schwedenplatz (near Franz Josf Kai and the Ringstrasse). There is a ticket office there. If you are doing Bratislava as a day trip, return tickets cost about €50. It's an international trip, so you need to bring your passport, and it is checked. If you are minding your pennies, a day return by rail costs about €15.

Try not to lose Budapest from your programme: it's a wonderful city (and easier on the pocket than Vienna or Prague).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM

The twin city liner has quickly become very popular. perhaps best to reserve in advance

for information -allprices and booking look to

www.twincityliner.com

aöso popular and offering various day trips on the danube

www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

trips to melk and Durnstein are very good.