Search

Hydrofoil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Jennifer

Hydrofoil

Can anyone please tell me the specifics of the hydrofoil. To say the least, I'm confused.<BR>1. Where does it travel to and from within Italy?<BR>2. How much is it?<BR>3. Is there a luggage limit or size?<BR>4. Is it a plane or a boat?<BR>5. How far in advance must I make reservations (or do I not need to make reservations) for May? And if so, how do I make those reservations?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Howard

Which hydrofoil are you talking about? There is more than one...far more!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Jennifer

We are traveling from Florence to either Ravello or Positano (undecided) and then onto Capri.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Adrienne

Jennifer: Aliscafo (jet boats, hydrofoils) go from Naples, Positano and Sorrento to Capri. Search for websites for Capri and they usually have the schedules. Or just search for Aliscafo to Capri. Your hotel should have it also. You don't make a reservation. They charge a small amount for luggage.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Debbie

We took the hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri. Basically it is a very fast speed boat type of water taxi. There were many outdoor seats and some indoors if you didn't want to get your hair wind blown. They are inexpensive and fun transportation, basically a cruise across the water. Not sure about the luggage count. Good luck.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Geoff Hamer

Hydrofoils are fast boats. They have underwater wings which at speed cause the boat's hull to rise out of the water so that it looks as though it is going along on stilts. Other forms of fast craft include catamarans. They usually travel about twice as fast as a conventional ferry, but are less reliable and are more likely to be cancelled in rough weather. Some fast craft have open deck space but many are claustrophobic and noisy. For getting to the Amalfi coast, there are two operators, www.navlib.it and www.alilauro.it. You won't need to make reservations in advance.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:38 PM
BTD

Now I'm confused.<BR>Is there a hydrofoil from Rome to Positano???? <BR><BR>I'm planning to train from Rome to Naples, then Hydrofoil from Naples to Positano. Is that possible? I think it is, but now I'm not so sure.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Geoff Hamer

Roma-Positano is too far for a hydrofoil. There are hydrofoil services from Fiumicino, near Roma, but they don't go as far as Positano. Hydrofoils are uncomfortable and easily affected by choppy seas. The easiest way to get from Roma to Positano is to take a train to Salerno, then a bus.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Steve James

Jennifer - Naples-Positano hydrofoils only operate in high season and don't run in May.<BR><BR>However, Salerno-Positano ferries DO run in May (weather permitting). Journey time is 70 mins.<BR>This is a convenient and scenic option if you wish to arrive in Positano by sea.<BR><BR>It's not necessary to book in advance fo May.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:54 AM
MIKE

Does the hydrofoil between Salerno and Positano run in Nov? I'd like to avoid Naples?