Hydra

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydra

My Wife and I are staying in Stoupa in June, we have been invited to a wedding on the Island of Hydra, has anyone any ideas on the available ferries, boat trips, departure ports to this Island ?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I think the closest port is at Gytheio, but if I'm not mistaken it's a multi-stage journey back to Piraeus, and the chances are very slim that you will be able to make a connection to Hydra from anyplace else but Piraeus. You might be better off going up to Kalamata and taking the bus to Athens/Piraeus and a ferry from there to Hydra.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I have been to Hydra and I came in by boat from Piraeus. I love Hydra!!!!!!!! It is so beautiful and real.

I am the greatest star there is! The stars are ageless.

Balenciaga, sweetie.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM

if you google "greek ferry schedule" you will come up with this website and MANY more:

www.ferries.gr/greek-islands-ferry

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM

brynestyn:
We took the hydrofoil from Piraeus to Hydra this past summer and the trip was about 1 hour and 45 minutes with several stops along the way. Hydra is a great place, beautiful and so different from the hustle and bustle of Athens. If you have a chance to spend time on this special island, don't miss it! A most picturesque place and very laid back.
The Aegean Sea is the most beautiful color of blue I have seen. Only advice, it is not necessary to take a donkey ride to get to your hotel if you are staying at the Bratsera. We are still laughing about being taken by that tourist trap. However, our friends love the pictures and the story.
AKNIC
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Just throwing in an opinion on hotels, although you didn't ask

I stayed at Hotel Angelica - the annex next to the actual hotel and loved it. Very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. The hotel itself also looked very nice. It's in a great location - close enough to the main drag to be convenient, but far enough up the hill to give you a glimpse of island life. It's around the corner from two grocery stores and the pharmacist (who is also the Internet cafe) so that was very convenient.