Search

Hvar or Korcula?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hvar or Korcula?

Hi folks-
We were hoping to visit both Korcula and Hvar during our trip to Croatia this year. But we may not have time to do both.

If you had to choose between the two, which one would you pick? We are not into the "nightlife" scene, so that's not part of the draw to Hvar for us. We don't plan on hanging around on the beach at either place. Mostly sightseeing and walking the towns, and soaking up the atmosphere.

Thanks for your help. I wish we had 3 weeks instead of 2!!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Topping

Can anyone comment on these islands?

Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:44 PM

I've only visited the town of Korcula for half a day so i can't speak about the rest of the island. The town of Korcula was okay - needed a good cleaning but it's location and layout are great. I've been to Hvar 3 times. I really enjoy exploring the island of Hvar - and I'm sure Korcula offers the same charming villages, vineyards and secluded coves. There's plenty to see and do in Hvar Grad - as well as Stari Grad and Jelsa.

http://www.hvar.hr

http://www.korculainfo.com/

I will say that Korcula town is very unique to Korcula and Hvar Grad is very unique to Hvar. Hvar is very green while Brac is more stone, not sure what dominant tone is for Korcula.

You may want to consider retreating to a secluded cove, with a konoba, for a day - to me it's what Croatia is all about.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much.

What's a konoba?

How did you get around on the islands? Scooter, bus, rental car? We plan to rent a car, but may wait until we are finished with Dubrovnik and Hvar/Korcula before picking up.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:46 AM

konoba is a rustic restaurant - prust, grilled fish, octopus salad, home produced wine

Along the coast I've gotten around by bus - on the islands I've rented scooters. Taxis can be fairly expensive. I've not rented a car yet.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:23 AM

I've been to both Hvar and Korcula. They're both small and quaint but I would pick korcula. HVAR doesn't have much to do with the one exception of a music concert (if it's on when you're there) at a monastery that played baroque music and was fantastic. I bought a beutiful oil painting at a gallery in Korcula that hangs in my apartment.What a great place.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Karenpg-
Thanks for your input. You don't hear so much about Korcula. What kinds of things did you do? We would have two days to stay.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM

not much to do in Hvar? The museum and view from the fortress above Hvar Grad - the Dominican monestary in Stari Grad which has Greek, Roman and Slavic artifacts - numerous churches - lots of artisian galleries. An acquaintence's family was finishing up their wine /artisinal food tasting store last year - there's plenty to do in Hvar Grad. It depends upon what you want to do. If it's wandering around a town - Korcula is a lot smaller than Hvar Grad. Korcula doesn't have a square similiar to St,Stephan's square and Hvar Grad is contained like Korcula - I'm not sure it's fair to compare the two. I very much want to get back to Korcula and explore the rest of the island and it's wineries. Korcula doesn't pulse like Hvar - it struck me as more laid back, almost over looked compared to Hvar, Brac and Vis.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Carta-
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I think we are leaning more towards Hvar.

We would be coming from Dubrovnik. Do you recommend taking the ferry from Dubrovnik, or going up the coast (bus?) and then taking the catamaran from Split?

The logistics of getting around in Croatia seems a little complicated and requires some pre-planning.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Issy,

I have been to both Hvar and Korcula in September 2004. Cannot tell you much about Hvar Island, as we did not explore much beyond the town. We did, however, travel the length of Korcula Island. We stayed with a family in the town of Vela Luka on the opposite end of the island from Korcula town, and we took the bus from Vela Luka to Korcula. It took about an hour and a half each way, and cost 28 Kuna each way. While in Korcula town we also took the bus out to Lombardo, a delightful beach area along the coast.

I guess what I am saying is that it is certainly possible to take local transport on the islands and have a great time. We never rented a car, and had no difficulty in getting every place we wanted to go.

One little tip, we made a habit of looking at local bulletin boards and found information on local musical events in many towns. In Hvar, for example, there was a guitar recital in the local cloister that still sends shivers up and down my spine.

My trip report is much too long to post here again, but if you supply your email url I would be happy to forward it to you.

Have a great trip. I'm sure you will love Croatia.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

nukesafe-
I would love to see your trip report. My email is: [email protected]

Thanks Much.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Rick Steves raves about Korcula, but says little or nothing about Hvar. Not sure why. He also recommends Split, while many here have another opinion on it.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM

I meant to say Hvar Grad isn't contained like Korcula - the herringbone layout of the town is briliant. As for transport - taking the bus from Dubrovnik to Split then catamaran to hvar is quicker than ferry from Dubrovnik to Hvar. Also - I'm pretty relaxed about buses now because their frequent - ferries require a little bit of planning. I saw Rick Steve show about Croaita - he visited Korcula because of the possible Marco Polo connection.