Hvar, Korcula, or Both?

Aug 25th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Hvar, Korcula, or Both?

I'm heading to Croatia in October. I'm trying to decide if I should spend four days on Hvar or Korcula or if I should spend two days on each island. Does anyone have any recommendations? My boyfriend and I are types that really like a cute town with restaurants/bars to walk around at night but also would like to do some hiking and exploring around different parts of the island.
Aug 25th, 2006, 05:35 AM

bakerette,

Are you also going to Dubrovnik. Because of you are, you might want to skip Korcula this time around. It is a lovely town, like a mini Dubrovnik, so that is why I asked.

We loved Hvar and could easily spend a week there just hanging out.

The best thing about Croatian islands ( I did not go to them all however) is that you can stroll at night. Hvar has lots of restaurants and an active harbourfront.

Personally although fun to island hop, I would stay on Hvar. But how much time do you have for your whole vacation; that would be helpful to know.

In your research do you know what parts of the island you prefer? Hvar Town is kind of hip and chic, is that what you want. Or do you desire a more rural experience?
Aug 25th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tripgirl.

We are planning on going to Dubrovnik (3 days). We are staying there for a few days and then planning a few days on Korcula or Hvar. After that we'll head northward. When I was looking at Hvar I was thinking of staying in Hvar town. It seemed like Hvar town was active at night and was also a good start point from day trips either around the island or to different island.
Aug 25th, 2006, 06:33 AM

We enjoyed both---here are some shots that will give you a sneak preview:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3882
Aug 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM

We slightly preferred Korcula - it was a little less "chic" and that's more our style. It could also be due to the fact that we loved our room in Korcula (Villa DePolo). If I ever went back, I'd want to explore the island further and find more of the beaches! I'm glad we went to both islands, and that would be my recommendation.